Using Vanilla Bean In Cake

Baking By CarolinaBeachGirl Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 11:19pm by Ursula40

CarolinaBeachGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaBeachGirl Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 11:31am
post #1 of 15

I am doing my first wedding cake and they want marble cake with vanilla bean. Does anyone have a good recipe? Or have any ideals? Need help!!!! I have found a recipe for vanilla sugar but that really isn't what I'm looking for.

14 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 15

They want bits of vanilla bean in the cake or do they want you to make your own vanilla using a bean?

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 15

You can scrape the inside of the pod into the batter or if you heve time. make vanilla sugar using pods 9thats what I do, i only use home made vailla sugar or extract) depend on how much batter you need

Ursula40 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 15

You can also, if you have a food processor, make vanilla sugar on the quick, by puvverizing the whole pod in sugar, works best, if you can only get dry pods. After that, sieve the sugar to get any bits out, that are too big.. I do that to pods, that have been used already for vanilla sugar a couple of months, sitting in the sugar, they lose the moisture, but still retain some of the flavour and that is too wasteful to just throw out, so I pulverise them to get as much use out of them as possible. I have two contziners of vanilla extract (Pods in Vodka) and vanilla sugar going at a time. When one is in use, the other is developing

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 15

You can also use vanilla bean paste............yummy!

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 11:09pm
post #6 of 15

Vanilla bean paste??? Can you buy that or do your have to make it yourself?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 11:11pm
post #7 of 15

You can buy it at gourmet food stores or possibly Sur la table.

jjkarm Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 11:14pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks, I'll check it out. It seems like it would be a lot easier to use. Does it taste like the natural vanilla bean?

Ursula40 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 11:36pm
post #9 of 15

Yes it does, but it does have other added ingredients like invert sugar,syrup, vanilla extract, vanilla seeds, xanthan gum, acacia gum

Beans are all natural. I have a botlle of the Madagascar vanilla paste, distributed by Lorrann oil, wanted to try it out. Will do in a pinch, but I still prefer making my own extract and sugar, or scraping the pods, but then I try to stay as natural as possible

jjkarm Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 11:38pm
post #10 of 15

Thanks for all the info! thumbs_up.gif

CarolinaBeachGirl Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:36am
post #11 of 15

I want to thank everyone for their help. Wish me luck.

CarolinaBeachGirl Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:05pm
post #12 of 15

If I'm going to make a 3 tier cake to feed about 120 people, how many vanillan beans do you think I will need? I think I am going to do the food processor ideal.

CarolinaBeachGirl Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:09pm
post #13 of 15

It just hit me, can I flavor the buttercream icing with the vanilla beans and use that instead of flavoring the whole cake? Has anyone tried that?

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:27pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBeachGirl

It just hit me, can I flavor the buttercream icing with the vanilla beans and use that instead of flavoring the whole cake? Has anyone tried that?

I use vanilla bean paste whenever I make my vanilla cupcakes with vanilla SMBC. I sent the extras I made to work with my daughter and husband. Everyday they get people asking when they are going to bring more.

You can use vanilla bean paste in place of the vanilla in your recipe. I just add extra, usually I start with 1 tablespoon. Last time I made the frosting I put in 2. The stuff is expensive! But you get a real good vanilla flavor because it is made of the whole bean, seed pod and all. It is all finely ground up.

And yes, you can use the vanilla beans in the frosting only. It should taste delish. I just bought some beans myself to try this the next time I make my vanilla frosting. I like the color and specks you get in the frosting from using the beans or paste.

As for a recipe, I started with the recipe from Rose's Heavenly Cakes on page 295 (can't remember the name right now) and add 1 tablespoon of the paste to the batter. It imparted a beautiful vanilla flavor. So you can start by addin 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon to any vanilla or yellow type cake recipe you have.

Ursula40 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 11:19pm
post #15 of 15

Yes you can put it in frosting, BUT remember that they will be dark, the colour will change and you can see the little specks of the seeds. I don't use it in my frosting, but inside the cakes, puddings, fillings etc, where you don't really see them, except when cutting the cake. I don't know how many people I have had to educate, that those were not spots of micorscopic mold, unbelievable, but some people really have never had real vanilla, only the fake and are surprised at the difference in taste and optic. I don't mind the optic and will always go for the spotty pudding or mousse, but if you use it in a swirled topping of cupcakes for example no problem, or whipped cream frosted cakes.. I even dump the stuff in my choc cakes, puddings etc, really brings out the taste

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%