Painting And Sponging On Fondant

Decorating By BlessP Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 7:49am by tinygoose

BlessP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlessP Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:41am
post #1 of 3

Can you sponge on fondant?

What do you use in painting and sponging on fondant? Do you use straight color gel or mix it with vodka?

Can you cover painted fondant with a piping gel?

Would the piping gel make the fondant soggy?

I don't have a spray and I am trying to find ways on how to get a certain color combination and effect on my daughter's first birthday with just the tools that I have.

2 replies
PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:06am
post #2 of 3

I have sponged using luster dusts and petal dusts as well as gel colors thinned with vodka or lemon extract. I rolled out a small test strip of fondant and sponged it before doing the cake. This way I knew exactly how much color I needed on the sponge. I'm not sure about the piping gel. I have never used it on fondant. You could do a test strip and see how it holds up. I hope this helps!!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:49am
post #3 of 3

I've painted on fondant. I did a practice one with redwood trees, blue sky, etc. I just used a clean brush, gel food colors mixed with vodka...it worked great. Brush is damp not soaking wet, til you get a feel for it. I would think that piping gel wouldn't dry well, but food color with vodka dried and remained stable. I would make sure your fondant doesn't have condensation on it, better to be dry when you paint.

It's just a practice one and it's not very good, just some scrap fondant but here's the picture, not great quality. The shiny part dried flat, and did not fade. I used Americolor.
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%