Which Is Easier To Make - Purse Cake Or Shopping Bag Cake?

Decorating By cserwa Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 8:20am by tinygoose

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 4:36am
post #1 of 3

Help to those who have made both. Purse like coach or LV. For a total newbie beginner, which is easier to make? Thanks!

2 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:50am
post #2 of 3

For a purse cake I use my rectangle bread loaf pan and carve the desired shape. Then I cut in half and add my filling. For a bag cake you would have to stack several layers. I have seen where they apply the fondant above the top of the actual cake and add fondant to look like tissue paper. Cute but more time consuming. I have two purse cakes in my pictures. One I made a fondant handle and the other I used the rim of a bucket lid covered with ribbon.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 8:20am
post #3 of 3

I did my first purse cake a few weeks ago. It was just 2 round 9" layers, buttercream in the middle and covered in fondant. It was a last minute job so not my best stuff, but it turned out cute, I think. Next time I will cut a flat spot off the top and make a flap. But it was pretty easy. I made the mini purse(also in my pics) from the part I cut off.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1707327

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%