Silver Decorations Suggestions Or Ideas

Decorating By kileyscakes Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 5:12pm by tonedna

kileyscakes Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:54am
post #1 of 11

I am doing a wedding cake and cupcakes and one of the colors is silver and I would like to incorporate it somehow and I thought of dragees but are they edible on some websites to buy them it says for decor only? any other ideas on how to achieve silver?
Thanks
Kiley

10 replies
tonedna Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 4:19am
post #2 of 11

I use the dragees all the time. It's better than making balls of fondant and painting them silver. Usually when you cut a cake a person might get one or two dragges per cut, unless your design is full of the little balls. So I wouldnt worry too much about it.
This really depends on the design you are trying to achieve in your cake.
Plus usually silver dust is non edible.
Edna icon_smile.gif

nicfam6 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 4:26am
post #5 of 11

might i suggest painting it on with silver powdered food color (dilute with alcohol; i use vodka) If you don want to paint it on directly maybe you can make some fondant/gum paste cut outs and paint those and apply them to the cake kind of like applique.

terrylee Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 4:34am
post #7 of 11

Try putting a small amount of silver luster in a small sandwich bag, add your rolled fondant beads (dried) and easily shake the bag...coats all the beads evenly.

kileyscakes Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 11

so will it be ok to serve dragees then? If I use wilton silver pearl dust will that work if I start with a gray colored fondant?
thanks everyone!

tonedna Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:12pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kileyscakes

so will it be ok to serve dragees then? If I use wilton silver pearl dust will that work if I start with a gray colored fondant?
thanks everyone!

I use them all the time. The wilton pearl dust will give you a grey pearly shine but wont look like a silver dragee.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%