Baseball Cap Cake

Decorating By Nay9701 Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 9:07pm by nanahaley

Nay9701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nay9701 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:52am
post #1 of 10

I have a request for a baseball cap cake. how do you make the brim of the cap? what do you make it out of and how long does it need to dry?

9 replies
nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 4:08am
post #2 of 10

I am guessing you would make it out of gumpaste. Put it over something to dry theat would give it that slight round.

Hope you get an sanswer from someone who has already did this

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 4:14am
post #3 of 10

I made mine from fondant. I added a little tylose to make it hard and allowed to dry. I used my Wilton double edge fondant cutter to make the seam around the brim, placed a rolled up paper napkin under what would be outside of the brim or the end not touching the cap. Worked well for me, HTH

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 10

I made a brim out of a 50/50 fondant/gumpaste mix. I gave it 2 days to dry and it wasn't quite long enough. icon_sad.gif It drooped when I put it on the cake and I had to shove a fondant ball under it to hold it up. It wasn't visible at all but still, not up to my standards. If I were to do another I'd make the brim several days to a week in advance.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 10

I live in a very humid area, so I use straight gumpaste. I have an acrylic canister in my kitchen that is slightly tapered so that the curve is more pronounced on one end like a real hat is usually more curved on the outside edge of the brim. I put a good bit of cornstarch on the form so it won't stick. I roll the gumpaste about 1/8" thick so that it is sturdy. It takes a couple of days for the paste to dry enough to hold the shape, and I then transfer it to my dehydrator for a couple of days, so it is a week-long process. Also, make two. There will inevitably be problems if you only make one icon_rolleyes.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:02pm
post #6 of 10

i made mine with fondant and candy clay mixed. Its in my photos. I cut the brim off from an old cap of my dh and covered it with press n seal. I used the brim as a pattern. Then traced the brim onto stiff cardboard. I then cut out with fondant and candy clay and layed over the real brim covered in press n seal. I let it dry for 3 days. hth next time , i will use g/p only. that will dry faster.

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:21pm
post #7 of 10

If you can get access to Elisa Strauss's book, Confetti Cakes, she has complete instructions for making a baseball cake, along with template for the brim. She suggest using cardboard shaped into a curved by folding in half and placing it on top of something round like an empty paper towel roll. She used gumpaste, make 2 days or up to one week before cake.

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 5:15pm
post #8 of 10

I had never made one before and all the folks on this website helped me with my first a couple of weeks ago. It turned out so professional looking. I did follow the suggestion of taking a hat and covering the brim in Glad PressNSeal...then I rolled out fondant and cut to fit brim and applied my lines using my fondant cutting (design) tool and let dry for a week...it was humid and still a bit soft that day. I used the sport ball pan (1/2) and a 6 inch round.

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 8:40pm
post #9 of 10

I recently made one also! It is in my photos. I used gumpaste but we are in humid FL. I dryed it on a oatmeal container covered in cling wrap. I let it dry for 2 days and that wasn't long enough but mu son doesn't like a big arch on his bills so it was perfect!

nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:07pm
post #10 of 10

I made mine using gumpaste from the pattern in Elisa Strauss's book, Confetti Cakes and dried it on a piece of parchment paper on top of an actual hat brim. I gave it a week to dry and it did well. I did make a backup brim but fortunately did not need it. I have the picture in my photos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%