Need Help With Royal Icing

Baking By iceit4me Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 5:03pm by Cakechick123

iceit4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iceit4me Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:48am
post #1 of 5

Having trouble making royal icing. For some reason it always has like a shine to it. When I try to make flowers it seems to melt. I have tried making the consistancy stiff and even that hasn't helped. I tried using Wilton's meringue to make it. Can someone help me figure out what I am doing wrong? Getting very frustrated because I know this should be easy.

4 replies
LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 5

I understand you are supposed to let it mix until the shine disappears. So maybe you are not letting it go long enough. I learned 10 minutes.

If the flowers are melting, then it could be too thin too. YOu would be surprised how quickly it can break down with even a drop more of water than needed.

HTH

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 5

Does it feel thick then melt when you pipe it? If so that plus the shine sounds like to me that you haven't mixed it long enough. In a stand mixer 7 mins is usually good, with a hand held you need to mix it at least 10 mins.

If it is undermixed it will feel thicker but will not hold any shape at all.

iceit4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iceit4me Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you for reading my post. Iwill try mixing it longer and see what happens. Thanks to all my CC friends!

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 5

also make sure that your untensils are fat free, if any fat come into contact with RI it will break it down. The best is to use metal and glass utensils thats been washed in VERY hot water

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%