Brainstorm - Business Name

Business By dmo4ab Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 1:01pm by KHalstead

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:21am
post #1 of 16

I've been doing some baking on the side for the past two or three years. Mostly decorated cakes recently, but some cookies, cupcakes, cheescakes, etc also. I'm ready to launch a website to take it further.

I need some creative inspiration from my fellow cc'ers to come up with a business name. My name and my husband's name both start with "D" and so does our son's name. So...I'd like it to have two or three words starting with "D". I just can't come up with anything that seems right.

Please throw me any ideas!

15 replies
MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:31am
post #2 of 16

Can you post your families names? I understand if you don't want to.

annabanana183 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annabanana183 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:34am
post #3 of 16

D's delicious delights : P,

annabanana183 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annabanana183 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:35am
post #4 of 16

sorry theres a facebook group for it already icon_redface.gif

dmo4ab Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:40am
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMillie

Can you post your families names? I understand if you don't want to.

I don't mind. Mine is Donna. Hubbie is David. Son is also David. (wonder who we named him after!?!)

ladycakes85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladycakes85 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:43am
post #6 of 16

Donna's Delightful Delicacies
Donna's Delicious Delicacies

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 2:13am
post #7 of 16

Triple "D" Delights! icon_lol.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:36pm
post #8 of 16

Triple D Bakery! Could even have a little tag line like "Decadent, Delicious, and Divine"

That was the first thing that came into my head.......or if you like math you could call it D cubed, which is D to the third power (not sure how to make the little 3 above the D on the computer though)

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 3:10pm
post #9 of 16

WARNING: This is my opinion only. I know that many of you will disagree. I am only stating *my* tastes and preferences.

I'm not a big fan of alliterative business names. I think they are unimaginative and overused to the point of cliche'. A special thumbs-down to those who use K as the beginning consonant, and a double-special thumbs-down if the K replaces an actual C. Seriously, I wouldn't want a business name shorthand of KKK, or anything like it.

Why would this name be something a potential customer would remember? Although the name may be meaningful to you, why not create a name that truly identifies your brand and special talent or niche?

"Triple-D" makes me think of bra sizing, so unless you're prepared for lots of XXX spam and prank queries, I'd reconsider.

If you must incorporate the consonants, what about: 3D Cakes.

This name conveys three-dimensionality, and opens several possibilities for icons. You could develop a specialty in carved cakes and refuse to do sheet cakes. (Cakes are 3D, not 2D!) The name itself carries a visual representation, and thus would be easier to remember. Of course, if you won't be doing carved cakes, this might not be an appropriate business name.

I hope this helps. I'm just trying to present another opinion that may indeed be in the minority.

Good luck to you!

icon_smile.gif

dmo4ab Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:19pm
post #10 of 16

dawncr - Thank you so much for your input. That is exactly why I posted here - I wanted the honest opinions and suggestions.

3D Cakes was actually my first choice, but I don't really do anything 3-Dimensional and am probably years away from those types of skills. I certainly don't want to mislead anyone.

However, would it be misleading to call it 3D Deserts?
Also, I really like KHalstead's idea of a tag line.

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:39pm
post #11 of 16

Triple D makes me think of a bra size. Why, why dear God do I always think of the other side?

I do love the tag line "Decadent, Delicious, and Divine" .

thecookieladycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecookieladycc Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:48pm
post #12 of 16

D³ Cakes

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:56pm
post #13 of 16

There is a guy here in Orlando that just opened a bar-b-q place. His last name is Rivers and he called it 4 Rivers (married with two kids). So maybe you could do something like that.

BTW - 4 Rivers is going gangbusters, ALWAYS a line to get in. I've never seen a new business take off so well.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 5:18pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecookieladycc

D³ Cakes

obviously while I was drawing you were channeling your thoughts my way!

and here's my entry: (and yes, "devine" is a purposeful mispelling to emphasize the DEvine)
LL

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:11pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle104

Triple "D" Delights! icon_lol.gif

That was the first thing I thought of too!! thumbs_up.gif

It would really jump up the naughty cake business.. icon_lol.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:01pm
post #16 of 16

"cakes to a higher power" LOVE IT doug lol

would you guys believe that my DH wanted to actually name OUR SON D cubed?? Seriously people. My DH is a junior and his first name is Daniel, so our son, if given the same name would be D the third....or D cubed. I was like, absolutely not........although it was more reasonable than his first suggestion .........pi............yeah, like his name would've been 3.14 and we would have called him pi......I told my DH, what if he grows up to be fat? He'd never live down being heavy and being named Pi!!! Can you imagine the jokes??

Happy to say that my son's name is Jeremy lol Mommy wins!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%