Using Styrofoam Spacers

Decorating By Aeropanda Updated 27 Jan 2016 , 1:42am by catlharper

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:09am
post #31 of 43

There's no need for cardboard under the spacers.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:24am
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

...I do not want it falling over on the cake table!

Well, why not? All of a sudden you're too good for Cake Wrecks??? icon_lol.gificon_surprised.gif

LOL...always looking for that silver lining eh Melvira? LOL!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:00pm
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

I'm embarrassed to admit that this woman now thinks it is normal for me to go postal. She's lucky she can still walk... that's all I'm sayin'.

Seems you showed considerable restraint!

catlharper Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:14pm
post #34 of 43

As an event planner I have run into some real doozies...and there are times I think "and you've been in business HOW many years with this attitude? Maybe it's time to retire"

Best one yet was the lady who drove up to the venue at 9am, saw us standing there, said "we open in awhile for you to set up" then shut the gate right in my face...even tho' we had contracted to enter at 9am! Her assistant ran down to the gate apologizing like mad and let us in...then we get inside and she looks at us and says "you know we can't let the rental trucks in here till 10"...I mean, the event STARTED AT 11 AM!!! I was only going to have an HOUR to set up? Nope, no way. I whipped out my contract with proof that HER boss gave us the permission. Well, she was NOT happy with that and when the rental company showed up a few minutes later she VERY slowly walked down to the gate to let them in, stood IN the doorway making it impossible for everyone to get stuff in then HOVERED over me as I set up the wedding. I seriously wanted to strangle her. My daughter, the owner of our event company, was furious! She filed an official complaint with the owner who came back with "well, so n so says she has no idea what you are talking about...she said it was a wonderful morning and everything went off perfectly and that you two were SO professional and good at your job" UGH...Yeah, you BET we were professional...too bad YOU weren't lady...you drove us crazy! The owner's response to our bafflement was "well, she can be hard to work with from time to time"...UGH. I was happy not to be doing the cake...bet she would have tripped me! LOL!

Cat

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:17pm
post #35 of 43
Quote:

The owner's response to our bafflement was "well, she can be hard to work with from time to time"...

My answer to that?

"Since I don't want to cause stress to my brides 'from time to time', I'm sure you'll understand that I wont' be recommending your facility as long as we vendors have to deal with someone like her."

Remember .... without the vendors, a venue owner just has a big empty room. icon_twisted.gif

catlharper Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:20pm
post #36 of 43

What I said was "well, in the future we need to make sure that so n so isn't working the day we are working an event at your venue or there will be no more events at your venue." She responded with a light an airy "oh absolutely! No problem!" UGH...still haven't recommended that venue to a bride since!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:11pm
post #37 of 43
Quote:

The owner's response to our bafflement was "well, she can be hard to work with from time to time"

So can Great White Sharks. Especially trying to get them to jump up and bump their nose on that bell thingy. And they won't do it for those little fishie treats, you have to offer them a limb every time they do it right.

I was told about that crotchety old witch that 'she's just like that'. Excuse me? And what gives her the right to act like that? I mean, sure, you can act however you want, but you are going to get it right back from a lot of people. I'm always torn in that situation between just saying, "So, who ruined your life this morning?" or killing them with kindness. Being so ingratiatingly sweet that they leave with six cavities.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:30pm
post #38 of 43

Melvira, I have much more fun being a b*itch back at them (and hubby says I can throw in a level of superiority that makes even HIM cringe .... and he claims NOT to be afraid of me! (He is ... he just wont' admit it!) icon_lol.gif ), but 9 times out of 10, I had to be "professional" (big sigh!) and take all the fun out of it!

My favorite, though, was the hotel staffer who told me my cake wouldn't feed 150 people. I told her it would feed 200. She said, "I"ve worked for a number of caterers and I'm telling you, that cake isn't big enough."

Without even looking up, I continued putting the border on the cake and said, "Well, when you OWN your own catering company like I do, then you can tell me how it's done. In the meantime........" and just continued wiht my work.

Yeah...... she shut up! icon_cool.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:57pm
post #39 of 43

You know, there will never be a shortage of idiots in this world. They're a self renewing natural resource. We should find a way to make electricity out of stupidity... we'd get a Nobel Prize and the entire world would be lit like Vegas. icon_rolleyes.gif

I did a wedding saturday that was cupcakes and brownies on a tower I built, I was putting it together and one of the caterers came out to see what I was doing. She said, "Is that what they wanted? Brownies?" Instead of snapping, I said, "Yes, she's a huge chocoholic!" In my super nice voice. The lady continued with, "Well it looks gorgeous. I've never heard of wedding brownies before, but it looks beautiful AND delicious! I bet I'll be seeing more of that coming up!" Thank goodness I went with my instincts on that one and didn't snap! icon_lol.gif She even asked for my card. So, that was a good thing! You get so mad about the bad stuff, you have to remind yourself about the good stuff once in a while!

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 5:38pm
post #40 of 43

How tall if spacers if I'm putting roses in between?  I'm making a 6, 8, 10" squares. 

catlharper Posted 27 Jun 2015 , 12:08am
post #41 of 43

@mareg I always use the 4 inch tall spacers but you can use a 2 inch tall one. It really depends on the look you are going for! Good luck!

Cat

Cakemoms24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemoms24 Posted 26 Jan 2016 , 9:47pm
post #42 of 43

sorry to ask more questions on this thread but i'm confused about the dowels and the Styrofoam pieces in between the layers... how big are my dowels then? are they going through the top of the cake and into the Styrofoam??  but the cardboard is on the top and bottom of it.. is it glued to the foam?? i'm only using 2 tiers but the bride wants a gold ribbon around the SF in between them so i'm just unsure how i am assembling this..

catlharper Posted 27 Jan 2016 , 1:42am
post #43 of 43

@Cakemoms24 ‍ Basically you would stack your cake like this...cake base-plate-stand, cardboark cake round or square, real cake, dowel rods in real cake only even with top of cake, cake round, icing, styrofoam "cake", icing, cake round, real cake, dowel rods only even with top of cake, cake round, icing, syrofoam "cake", icing, cake round, real cake, topper. If you are using a styrofoam cake round for the base teir of your cake then you can just stack the real cake on top. If you are transporting the cakes anywhere then you will want to drill holes into the styrofoam "cakes" before stacking so you can hammer in a center dowel that extends from your cake base to the top of the top tier.  For that I make the holes about as big as a quarter to make it easier to hammer in the center dowel.  The icing on the real cake holds the cake boards then you attach the stryofoam to the cake boards with more icing...thus "gluing" each tier to the next. The dowel rods are really to hold up the next real cake tier since the styrofoam weighs less than the cake rounds.  Sounds like, for your cake, you have a real cake tier at the bottom and then a styrofoam tier followed by a real cake tier? Put regular to the top of the tier dowels in the bottom tier, then a cake board, icing, styrofoam tier, icing, cake board, icing, real cake top tier. If transporting then, yes, center dowel but if you can assemble on site then you won't need a center dowel for only 3 tiers.

Hope this helps! If  you need more please do let me know. Happy to help out!

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%