Cupcake Mess-Up ~ Refund?

Business By Swede-cakes Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 8:04pm by KHalstead

Swede-cakes Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:04am
post #1 of 10

Let's pretend you're all sitting at the island in my kitchen, and we'll have a cup of coffee and some banana-caramel bread while you give me some sage advice about what to do here. icon_biggrin.gif

A bride booked me back in Feb for dozens of cupcakes for her June wedding after she sampled some cupcakes at her consultation. Three different cake flavors, each with diff. icing flavor, and the lemon cuppies were to be filled with rasp preserves.

She repeatedly told me thru email how excited they were to serve them at their wedding, etc. I agreed to meet one of their family members in a town an hour away from me on a Saturday, b/c their venue was even farther than that and outside of my regular delivery area. She paid dlvy no problem, very appreciative that I'd do that on a heavy weekend.

Fast forward to this past Saturday morning, and I'm hustling in the kitchen finishing her order then getting Sunday's wedding cake started before I leave for her dlvry. As I box the cuppies up, I realize that the lemon ones never got filled. They're beautifully finished, and the candied lemon wedges are all placed on them, and I'm racking my brain trying to think of how to get the darned preserves in now! I can't think of anything, so I boxed and dlvrd so they wouldn't be late. I didn't want her to have nothing in her reception hall.

I assumed they'd be on honeymoon this week, so I drafted an email to send to her next week. I unexpectedly got an email from her today, saying that "everyone loved the cupcakes" but she "was disappointed" that the lemon ones were not filled. Their menu that they would be and none of them were. She asked me for a refund for just the lemon ones.

So... the question is do I agree to a full refund on the lemon cuppies because I didn't provide what was agreed upon? Or do I offer her a partial because they ate the cuppies anyway?

I truly feel bad that I made that mistake and disappointed her. I have my thoughts, but what are yours?

9 replies
indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:11am
post #2 of 10

Yes, I would refund 100% for the lemons. I think it's pretty fair of her to only ask for a refund for the lemon ones, when we read horror story after horror story of brides who would want a full refund for all of them.

I have had similar experiences and you'd be surprised how much weight it carries when you tell the bride, "Yes, I was waiting for your return from your honeymoon to give you the refund check that I have set aside for you. When I realized the error, it was too late to correct, but now that you're back, I'll get this check out to you today." Followed by apologies, etc. But the fact that you already know about the issue really carries weight.

sari66 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:20am
post #3 of 10

Yup, what debi said. Even though they ate them they weren't as promised so refund as the bride requested.

CakesByJen2 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:21am
post #4 of 10

Well, they really had no choice but to eat them. They had no way of knowing they weren't filled until they were served and people began eating them, and you're going to have eaten pretty much the whole cupcake before you realize "Hey, there was supposed to be filling in here".

Personally, I would refund the full amount for the unfilled ones. At a minimum, half, but I would feel better giving the full amount if it were something where I clearly screwed up. As a customer, I probably would just ask for half, but I think what made it more of an issue in this case is that it was on the menu, so the guests knew they were supposed to have filling, so it may have bit a bit embarrassing for the bride.

thin4life Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:42am
post #5 of 10

What is a cuocake?

Swede-cakes Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:43am
post #6 of 10

Thanks all, just as I thought too. I will indeed let her know that her refund is on its way.

It's just that I've read many similar posts of this bride saying this or that about the cake they received and the advice goes all over the place.

Thanks CC'ers. And indydebi...nice to know that even seasoned pros like you have gone thru this too. Thanks!

leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 10:38am
post #7 of 10

Agree with the full refund for the lemon cupcakes. I had to deliver a cake that was not what the bride ordered a couple of weeks ago (delivery accident) and processed her full refund before her reception was even over.

costumeczar Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 2:05pm
post #8 of 10

I would have told them that I had forgotten to fill the cupcakes, and handed them a check for a full refund for those when I dropped them off, so yes, I agree with the full refund for the lemon ones.

cylstrial Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 3:01pm
post #9 of 10

Yep - give her the refund for the lemon cupcakes. She seems very nice and honest and you yourself said you did forget to fill them. And by doing this, hopefully, she will let everyone know what a great cupcake maker you are because she will be happy. =o)

KHalstead Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 8:04pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede-cakes

Thanks all, just as I thought too. I will indeed let her know that her refund is on its way.

It's just that I've read many similar posts of this bride saying this or that about the cake they received and the advice goes all over the place.

Thanks CC'ers. And indydebi...nice to know that even seasoned pros like you have gone thru this too. Thanks!

Normally it's the brides opinion of something that was "wrong" in this case you know you didn't fill them, it wasn't a question of........I filled with raspberry and bride said it tasted like strawberry and wants a refund! You know that they were supposed to be filled, they werent......so a refund is definitely in order. It will hurt a little, but it's necessary. Obviously ONLY the bride would have known they were to have filling in them, not the guests so it's not like she received complaints that there was no filling........but it is what she ordered and she didn't get it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%