Sooner Or Later May Be Sooner Than Later!

Business By cattycornercakes Updated 8 Aug 2010 , 1:04am by cattycornercakes

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 16

I've been checking into different ways to become legal in my state. I first searched for a kitchen to rent but the closest thing was in Philadelphia and was expensive. Then I considered a retail space and I've been pricing the build out, equipment, etc. Someone my husband worked with suggested a nearby place to rent a kitchen. A nearby neighborhood has a community club or hall that they rent out for weddings, events, etc. and it has a kitchen that they rent with the hall for the use of caterers for these events to warm up food. The community club also does a dinner every Saturday night October through May. I sent an email last week asking about renting the kitchen. The president of the club replied...said they've never rented out just the kitchen before and had a list of questions he wanted me to answer before they considered it...when would I use it, how much, do I have insurance, etc. I answered all of his questions and told him I'd need to check into insurance. I didn't hear back the rest of the weekend so I emailed him this morning, told him I'm waiting for a call back from my insurance agent and asked if they have any requirements for the insurance. He emailed me what he thought I needed for insurance and asked to meet...wanted to show me the facility and meet with him and two other members of the club!

I called the dept of health this afternoon and they are sending me a packet of forms to fill out to get my food permit. I'm waiting on a call back from the insurance agency. I need to work on my LLC and get my business license.

I'm so excited that I might finally be legal. I'm trying not to get too excited though just in case it doesn't work out for some reason but it does give me hope that, if this kitchen doesn't work out, I still might find one for rent somewhere else.

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to share icon_smile.gif

15 replies
CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:38am
post #2 of 16

Good for you!! And congratulations too icon_smile.gif

Let us know how you progress...and don't forget to post pictures of you in "your" kitchen! icon_biggrin.gif

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:51am
post #3 of 16

that's awesome. I sure hope I can follow in your footsteps in my tough state of CA, I'd really love to be more than a hobby baker

cattycornercakes Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:54am
post #4 of 16

Thanks guys! I'm so excited. Its hard to believe that, in possibly a short period of time, I might be legal and able to advertise and sell. I'm hoping this works out, takes off and I have my own place in 5 years or less.

Thanks for reading and replying!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:03am
post #5 of 16

Most awesome cattycornercakes! I wish you the best in this venture!

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:05am
post #6 of 16

It can happen that fast - believe me! I was in the same position as you and now I'm renting a kitchen and legal and in shock icon_biggrin.gif Actually, the paperwork can go thru quite fast.

By the way, most insurance companies are now able to provide coverage for a home-based business which yours would qualify. It's simply an endorsement added to your homeowners policy and mine cost about $200 with excellent coverage. I just told them I keep my "office" at home but do the baking/decorating elsewhere and that was fine with them.

Best of luck to you!

cattycornercakes Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 16

I get to look at the facilities tomorrow night! icon_biggrin.gif

diane223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane223 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:43pm
post #8 of 16

Hi! I just did this a few months ago in PA, right outside PHiladelphia in fact. I rent from a firehouse that has the same set up you were describing. Here is what i had to do: I had to have my own storage space and commercial refrigerator. My stuff could not be mixed with the firehouses. Now, I'm sure my people would have given me one of theirs, but I asked if they would allow me to buy my own and bring it in. Which they did and even ran a seperate electic line for it. I also brought in my own storage cabinet. That is what the health department requires. Also, you will need to take a food handlers course and get that certification--that was easy though. I did 8 hours of home study, and then sat in a one-day class and immediately took the test. I have my own insurance policy on my business seperate from my home-owners policy. My insurance guy advised me that it was best to do it that way. I'm also covered on the firehouse policy, but also have my own. LLC took not even a week and I had the health inspection. All said and done in 6 weeks. I've been happily, legally baking for 2.5 months now! Good luck to you! It can be done quickly, accurately, and legally--just stay organized!

cattycornercakes Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 16

Great information Diane...thank you! Congrats to you and best wishes for your new business!

cattycornercakes Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 1:56pm
post #10 of 16

UPDATE!

So it took almost a month for the place I'm renting to get the paperwork together that I needed to submit with my food permit application. I finally got it last weekend and on Monday, I was completing the paperwork to mail in. I emailed my contact at the health dept with some questions to finish the paperwork. Going down the check list I realized I had forgot to get a copy of the food permit for the premises. Considering how long it took to get the other paperwork, I figured this was going to be another long delay. I emailed and asked for a copy of their permit and he said he'd look for it. On Tuesday, I said to myself...what the heck...I'll just mail it in. I had everything else together and I figure they obviously have the permit for the premises on file. Worst case, they'd tell me I need to get that to proceed.

So I just happened to check my work email a minute ago, and there is an email from my HD contact saying I'm approved and I just need to call and schedule my pre-operational inspection!!!

HOLY COW! I think I'm in shock right now!

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:24pm
post #11 of 16

Congrats! That is awesome news! icon_smile.gif

cattycornercakes Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:30pm
post #12 of 16

Thank you!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 10:20pm
post #13 of 16

That's great! Congratulations!

BORIKS03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BORIKS03 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 10:29pm
post #14 of 16

Good luck to you.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 1:00am
post #15 of 16

Congratulations! I am happy to hear that things worked out well for you! icon_smile.gif

cattycornercakes Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 1:04am
post #16 of 16

Thanks everyone!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%