Now I've Heard It All...wow!!

Lounge By hsmomma Updated 11 Jul 2010 , 1:40am by adonisthegreek1

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:04pm
post #91 of 106

I once heard someone say they were disgusted with the food stamp system, because whatever money was supposed to be on their card wasn't there the day it was supposed to be there .. when I told my dh about this comment he said really? Well they took that money out of my check on time!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:15pm
post #92 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

I was approached by a guy at the grocery store who asked if I would let him buy my groceries with his food stamps and then give him the cash! Um...No! It's a shame the system is set up where it can be abused like that, but I guess some people can find a way to take advantage of most anything.

I had a girl at a nursing home I used to work at (another employee) offer me $300 worth of foodstamps for $20 cash!! She wanted to buy drugs and was willing to sacrifice a month's worth of food for her children to get them!! I could have REALLY used that much worth of groceries as I was seriously struggling as a single mom at the time (qualified for food stamps, but didn't get them as I was JUST making it) but I knew what her intentions were so instead I had a good talking with her and she agreed to go to rehab! Hopefully it worked, not sure though...I quit working there a few weeks later and moved out of state.

The issue I have with people using food stamps for wedding cakes is simply that the food stamps are meant to feed their immediate family NOT 300 of their nearest and dearest!! That IS immoral and it IS illegal!

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 4:13pm
post #93 of 106

I agree with a lot of what's been said here. It is most definetly wrong, on every level, to buy a wedding cake with food stamps. But I also agree with the not judging someone you see paying with food stamps, unless you know 100% of what is going on in that person's life at the time. I also agree that our welfare system needs a major overhaul. The one big problem with that, though, is that most of the elected officials we've hired to do the overhauling haven't got a clue. I agree, too, that food stamps should only be used to purchase the most nurtitional food for a family. What a shame, then, that hot dogs are so much cheaper than lean, healthy chicken, and that potato chips are so much cheaper than fresh green vegetables. There are many, many things wrong with the whole sitaution.

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 4:55pm
post #94 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle_75

What a shame, then, that hot dogs are so much cheaper than lean, healthy chicken, and that potato chips are so much cheaper than fresh green vegetables. There are many, many things wrong with the whole sitaution.

That's frustrating whether food stamps are involved or not. So much of the obesity in this country is because convenience foods are not only faster and easier than making food fresh, but they're also cheaper than food made with good, fresh ingredients. It's all done at the expense of nutrition, though... too much fat, salt, high fructose corn syrup, msg, and who knows what else in most of it.

Shermie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shermie1 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:17pm
post #95 of 106

CHARACTER............. It's what you do when no one is looking !!!!!!

Unfortunately.... there a lot of people who never learned this.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 8:41pm
post #96 of 106

It was mentioned that I severe the relationship with the wedding planner in a previous post...
Instead of severing I've found it is more beneficial to me to be booked for the weekend she is asking about. Which in all honesty, she inquires very last minute every time and I am booked...so no lies told (as of yet icon_smile.gif.
Only one time did I complete a cake for a client of hers. And the client found me first and made the appointment and brought the wedding planner with her.
The planner is quite nice but must either just be relatively new to the industry or desperate for the business. Either way...I hold the line and will continue to do so. I've learned not to let people walk on top of me.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:23pm
post #97 of 106

Hahaha...saw this article and thought of this thread:

http://cbs3.com/watercooler/welfare.strip.clubs.2.1782955.html

ccalvin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccalvin Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 10:10pm
post #98 of 106

Nice thread kitagrl...I'm sure thats only the tip of the iceburg when it comes to finding more ways to abuse the welfare system.It really looks bad for those who TRULY need the help for I'am sure people asume they do stuff like that with their cards,when some don't. That strip club story makes me sick.....Does our president relize these things are going on????

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 10:21pm
post #99 of 106

Of course he realizes it, problem is that these types of programs are generally STATE run and state funded, so there isn't anything that HE can about it.

The US doesn't have a "national" welfare program. Every state has different requirements, different means of program administration, etc.

Rae

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 6:55am
post #100 of 106

You know it is hard not to be judgemental when you have seen so much abuse.
I have been in the check-out line @ wal-mart behind a woman who had 2 baskets full of groceries (mostly junk) and pulls out her FS card, puts in her code and there is nothing on it. She proceeds to pull out a diff. FS card and low and behold it is depleted of funds also. She then pulls ANOTHER FS card out and finally it goes through to purchase her more than $300 worth of junk. The sad part is she was never asked for ID on any of the cards.
Another is when someone (not a friend) tells me I am crazy for getting married, we should have just had the kids and then we would be eligible for welfare. icon_surprised.gif Really?!? I personally would only except it if I HAD to, like when displaced from Hurricane Katrina and I still was mortified.

One more story, sorry so long. As for feeling entitled, a friend got a call at the FS office about an application. Right now with the oil spill down here anyone who works in the seafood industry is eligible for FS benefits. This woman gives her info and come to find out she makes like 5000 a month, self-employed. The agent tells her she is not eligible she makes way over the minimum salary. the lady then proceeds to say "I thought everyone was getting them because of the oil spill?!?" Asked if she is involved with seafood industry, she says "well I eat it!" DECLINED

Like I said hard not to judge.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 11:58am
post #101 of 106

They tell you what you can buy on WIC, which I think is great (except the moms who get all their formula and then sell it on Craigslist, which makes me mad)...

I don't see why they can't have a list of approved foods on food stamps. I know they want the poor people to be able to shop "normally" but really, why should they? If they are on assistance, theoretically they should be thankful they are being fed.

Milk, cheese, meat, potatoes, rice, pasta, orange juice, eggs, cereal, etc should be allowed on food stamps. Chips, candy, soda, cookies, and other junk food should have to be purchased with cash. And yes, most people on food stamps have cash!!!! Not everyone, but most...I'm pretty sure I've had a few customers who purchased their expensive cake with cash because they used food stamps to feed their family. Their choice...that's fine...but I'm saying, they should have to buy all junk food using cash. The assistance should be used only to feed them healthy.

I want to know why the government isn't doing this instead of controlling what we ALL buy and eat...soda taxes, banning trans fats and happy meal toys....they are controlling the middle class instead of making changes where they'd really count.

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:17am
post #102 of 106

I agree totally with the all nutritious items things, just like WIC. There is a place around me that you can go buy live crawfish to boil with foodstamps. I don't think the gov. should be footing the bill for someone's seafood boil.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:05am
post #103 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelgirl

I love being behind someone in line using food stamps and then watch them climb into a Lexus! thumbsdown.gif

icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif THAT should not be happening. How can they "legally" do that ? icon_confused.gif

Maybe it's not their car. Maybe they bought the car before their GM job got shipped to Mexico. Maybe their mom is making the payments because they are upside down on the car and they can't afford to sell it.

Almost 30 years ago, I was pregnant with my son and my husband was laid off. We qualified for WIC. I'm sure there were people who thought the same thing when I climbed into our 4x4 truck after coming out of the store with my free milk, cereal and peanut butter. We bought the truck when he was working. We were struggling to make the payments. Selling the truck would just pay it off and then I'd have to come up with another car somehow .... with no money.

Books ..... covers ..... can't judge that way.

I'm not lecturing. It's just that because of my personal experience, I tend not to look at cars and clothes like that.

But when I see $50 sets of nails on their hands, now THAT'S a different story! icon_twisted.gificon_rolleyes.gif

icon_lol.gif I so agree with the "$50.00 sets of nails" thumbs_up.gif The reason that i made the remark that I made about the car is that one time when I was in college (at 40!!) with small children and very limited income I went to the local DHS office to apply for food stamps and because of the car that I owned I was not eligible for food stamps. I didn't owe for the car because I had gotten it in my divorce. BUT..was told that I could sell my car and drive something else that it was considered an "asset" and disqualified me for the program. icon_eek.gif That is why I made the remark that I did about it "not being legal" for them to be getting into a Lexus and having food stamps. I owned a Lexus and because I did I was turned away for help.

I totally agree with you Indydebi..you shouldn't judge a "book by it's cover".

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 2:50am
post #104 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

They tell you what you can buy on WIC, which I think is great (except the moms who get all their formula and then sell it on Craigslist, which makes me mad)...

That's ridiculous! Perhaps I'm not conniving enough, but that never would have even occurred to me to do that. You've got to hand it to some people...they can be pretty darn sly.

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:17am
post #105 of 106

wow that is just insane! Good for you for saying no. And for the record, the majority of people around where we live have food stamps and it's because they don't want to work, not because they can't...or they do work and lie to get them. 99.9% have manicure/pedicure and go to the salon frequently to get their hair done while driving in a very nice car. I just don't get it. I have been broke in the past and needed help too but these people seem to want to stay in their situation....

by the way, when my husband was in highschool he worked for food lion....one day this lady came in and wanted to buy some dog food with her food stamps, they wouldn't let her so after causing a large scene she left the counter and later returned with no dog food but 6 large steaks she could purchase for her dog icon_smile.gif

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:40am
post #106 of 106

I use to be very much against food stamps, welfare, etc. You all may have heard me say that my friend now keeps 4 foster kids. She gets food stamps and medicaid for the kids. She also gets WIC, because 2 of the kids are just babies. These kids have already suffered so much abuse in their young lives. I'm sure people turn up their noses at her thinking that she has a bunch of kids and is on welfare. They don't even know that these are foster kids that she is helping. Yes, she buys a birthday cake for them on their birthdays with the food stamps. Those kids deserve to feel special at least one day in their lives. I don't pass judgment anymore, because I can't assume to know someone's situation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%