Shopping Bag Cake?

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 31 Oct 2013 , 5:09am by mypinkbakery

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 24

What is the best way to make a (preferably STANDING) shopping bag cake?

Thanks!

23 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 24

Maybe 2 9x13" cut in thirds (width. so out of both cakes you'll get 6- 4 1/3 x9") I think 6 would give you a nice height for a standing shopping bag'; each layer should be 2" high or just about, so that's 12" (ruler height, it will be a little higher because of filling). HTH

yummy Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 24

Once you do this you may or may not want to carve; if you do level, fill, stack, double wrap in plastic and freeze cakes first (about 30 min. you if need it right away or until needed then let thaw wrapped 30 mins.).

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 24

I recently did one to serve 40. I used 2, 9x13 cakes.

I wanted the cake to be wider rather than taller, so I cut each cake into 4.5x13 inch pieces. I made 2, 4 inch tall "tiers" and stacked them , so I got an 8" tall, 13" wide cake. I cut my fondant panels for the bag sides a bit taller--about 9.5 inches.

HTH
Rae
LL
LL
LL

yummy Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 24

Blakescakes, I love your bag. Into my favorites it goes. If the op decides to go with a tall bag Let's say around 12", should she add a cake board between the third and fourth cakes? How does that work she ices the three bottom cakes let crust then add a board and continue on?

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 24

Wow! That's a really nice cake and tutorial. Thanks for sharing!

BlakesCakes Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 24

I have a cake board and supports every 4" of vertical cake, so yes, with a 12" high cake, that 3rd "tier" would be on it's own board (just like the second tier here is on it's own board) and there would be 3 more dowels in the second tier. The long dowels would also be 4 inches longer.

I covered each "tier" as an individual cake because of the way the hostess wanted to disassemble and serve/save the cake. You can certainly just stack the cake and buttercream it, too. I just did that with an 8" tall box.

Rae

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:33pm
post #8 of 24

Great info, thanks for sharing!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:37pm
post #9 of 24

I did one very similar to the above example:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1660099

Although I just did the inside cake in buttercream, with a board halfway up (and straw supports) for serving ease.

Also I pieced together the sides to make the bag look "creased" because I wanted them to be slightly indented like a real unfolded bag, but then my sizes got "off" and I was not able to do that. So the sides were three pieces each...the bottom triangle and the two side panels, and then royaled together. Then airbrushed. Next time I'll make sure the pieces are large enough to indent. thumbs_up.gif

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:35am
post #10 of 24

BlakesCakes, how did you ge tthe perfect writing of the Saks Fifth Avenue?

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:51am
post #11 of 24

I have done several American Eagle shopping bags. I use the 1/2 sheet cake and cut into equal peices. Use a silver/gold foil covered cake board or if you us covered wood you will need dowels screwed in the bottom. With the cake board you can push the dowels through the cake and right through the board.

BlakesCakes Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:04am
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanielisalevy

BlakesCakes, how did you ge tthe perfect writing of the Saks Fifth Avenue?

I ran off a copy of the logo on my printer (I found it at google images) and then I just used the pointed end of a cel stick (small rolling pin the size of 2 pencils with a rounded end and a pointed end) to "scribe" it into the fondant. I went down the middle of the letters, only.

I used food markers to mark that central scribed line of each letter and then I used the marker to fill out the letters freehand.

Thanks for noticing--I was really happy with the way it came out.

Rae

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:32am
post #13 of 24

You guys' bags look great!

@ BlakesCakes thanks for sharing. I will try to make one, soon.

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:22am
post #14 of 24

Awesome cakes! Blakescakes, I too was wondering how the logo was made. Wow, yr freehand coloring is perfect, Love it!

Justforfun751 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justforfun751 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:53pm
post #15 of 24

OP - great question! Blakescakes, thank you so much for the tutorial! I wondered how those bags were done! (ok, too many exclaimation points...) Thank you

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:12pm
post #16 of 24

Awesome cakes, people!!! I have to try one now!

tame Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tame Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:25pm
post #17 of 24

Thanks for this post.

sunshinelala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunshinelala Posted 17 Feb 2013 , 2:50pm
post #18 of 24

What a beautiful cake! I have a few questions......how did u get the fondant to stay so straight on the cake and not sag? Did u use just plain fondant or add Tylose or something else to it? Also did you use buttercream or would swiss meringue be ok.

i want to make a Victoria secret bag or my DD but afraid the fondant will sag.....

thanks 

Kadesan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kadesan Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 8:14am
post #19 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlakesCakes 

I recently did one to serve 40. I used 2, 9x13 cakes.

I wanted the cake to be wider rather than taller, so I cut each cake into 4.5x13 inch pieces. I made 2, 4 inch tall "tiers" and stacked them , so I got an 8" tall, 13" wide cake. I cut my fondant panels for the bag sides a bit taller--about 9.5 inches.

HTH
Rae
LL
LL
LL

I recently came across this tutorial and it has come in very handy for me.

Thanks a lot for the clear instructions :) I am planning on making this cake today for my sister's birthday and have the cakes baked and ready to go. I've also cut 2 strips of cake boards/cards for support to sizes 13" long by 4.5" wide. I plan on using one under the bottom 2 cake-layers; then insert dowels. I then plan on putting the second 2 cake-layers on another 13" long by 4.5 wide cardboard and then stack it on.

Just wanted to ask a few questions for clarification please;

Did you knead some tylose into your fondant to get it to stand so firm and sharp? I am concerned about the 4 fondant panels sagging and not standing upright like yours.

Also; how many slices would you say this cake feeds?

Suggestions from anyone is welcome please. Thanks in advance.
Kadesan Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 2:03pm
post #20 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kadesan 

I recently came across this tutorial and it has come in very handy for me.

Thanks a lot for the clear instructions :) I am planning on making this cake today for my sister's birthday and have the cakes baked and ready to go. I've also cut 2 strips of cake boards/cards for support to sizes 13" long by 4.5" wide. I plan on using one under the bottom 2 cake-layers; then insert dowels. I then plan on putting the second 2 cake-layers on another 13" long by 4.5 wide cardboard and then stack it on.

Just wanted to ask a few questions for clarification please;

Did you knead some tylose into your fondant to get it to stand so firm and sharp? I am concerned about the 4 fondant panels sagging and not standing upright like yours.

Also; how many slices would you say this cake feeds?

Suggestions from anyone is welcome please. Thanks in advance.

Anyone please? Just wanting to know how to get the panels to stand upright and not sag. Would I need to knead some tylose into my fondant? Thanks :)

Kadesan Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 1:24pm
post #21 of 24

Never mind; thanks guys :) Managed to complete my shopping bag cake!

mypinkbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypinkbakery Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 3:15pm
post #22 of 24

ASo how did u finally get the panels to stand?

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 8:46pm
post #23 of 24

Sorry no one answered..but if anyone still wants to know, I used tylose mixed with my 50/50 gum paste/fondant to get my sides to stay stiff. I made them a week ahead of the cake and then used white chocolate to adhere them together with the cake stacked in the middle. I am sure there are much better and neater looking ways, but that is what worked for me.

Hope the OP posts pictures, would love to see the finished cake :)

mypinkbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypinkbakery Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 5:09am
post #24 of 24

AThanks luckylibra!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%