Jagged Edges On Buttercream Roses

Decorating By 4n5Teachr Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 2:11am by au_decorator_76

4n5Teachr Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 13

I am fairly new to cake decorating--very much a novice, here! I learned to make buttercream roses in a Wilton class, but my roses always turn out with very jagged, broken edges on the petals. (See picture, attached) I cannot figure out why and am hoping some of you experts can help! I think it must be something with the icing, but I haven't been able to fix it. [/img]
Thanks!
LL

12 replies
DeeDelightful Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 13

Your icing consistency may be too stiff or something is plugging your icing tip. Try thinning your icing just a tad bit.

luddroth Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 13

Right -- a little too much powdered sugar. But I think the roses look very pretty as they are.

DeeDelightful Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 13

Yes, they are very pretty, maybe just not the look you were going for, but there is nothing wrong with them.

TexasSugar Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 13

There are two causes for it.

One: Not enough pressure while piping and turning your nail too fast. If you are not squeezing your bag hard enough and turning fast it will pull and stretch your icing.

Two: Your icing is too dry, which is not the same as too stiff. Roll a small bit of icing between your fingers. Then squish it between your first finger and your thumb. Your icing should feel tacky with maybe just a little bit sticking to your finger. If your icing doesn't feel sticky at all it is too dry. You can fix this by adding in about a tablespoon of crisco or a teaspoon of piping gel to a cup of stiff icing. I go by feel on this. Sometimes you may need a little more or less just depending on how dry your icing is.

To me the jagged edges add character. icon_smile.gif Great job on them!

indydebi Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 13

Even God doesn't make a perfect rose every time! thumbs_up.gif

julesh268 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:27pm
post #7 of 13

Mine are the same way and I was told to check my tip. I haven't pulled it out to use it again, but next time I was told to look for a little edge on it. My friend filed hers and the issue resolved itself.

rkei Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:54am
post #8 of 13

Add more crisco, beat your icing longer... the longer, the smoother and creamier! And thin it out a bit more!

Unlimited Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:10am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4n5Teachr

I learned to make buttercream roses in a Wilton class, but my roses always turn out with very jagged, broken edges on the petals.

I'm surprised that your Wilton instructor couldn't have addressed this during the class.

Tracy7953 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:11am
post #10 of 13

I was told to add a few drops of corn syrup. Have not tried it yet though.

EnjoyTheCake Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:19am
post #11 of 13

If you are using the Wilton Class Buttercream recipe then use milk or half and half instead of water. The 0 trans fat shortnings remove the fat which gives you a creamier icing and smoother rose. By using the milk instead, you add back some of that fat and create a creamier icing.

Also, make sure you are weighing your powder sugar instead of measuring it. And use pure cane powdered sugar. There are lots of variables but those are the major reasons why you will get jagged petals on wilton roses.

milkmaid42 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:32am
post #12 of 13

Those are some pretty roses! I'd think they look intentional. I can understand your wanting to "do it right", but hey, it is a lovely effect and you can call yourself an artist of the Impressionist Period!

au_decorator_76 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:11am
post #13 of 13

I've had this problem since day one and haven't been able to get any icing or tricks to work for me. Only time I had a pretty rose was with Royal Icing. I've just learned to love them like they are. LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%