Making Buttercream Smooth

Decorating By ElmwoodHero Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 11:47pm by msulli10

ElmwoodHero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElmwoodHero Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 8

I know that I cant be the only problem with this. How do you smooth out buttercream. I always have trouble with this. I have tried these methods: heating a knife('thumbsdown.gif'), wax paper('thumbsdown.gif'), freezing the cake for 30 minutes('thumbsdown.gif'), thining the frosting('thumbsdown.gif').
Please help

7 replies
Sarahweezie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarahweezie Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 8

I searched youtube for tutorials. Scrapers and Viva paper towels seem to be pretty popular, and they work well for me.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 8

You'll be very (very!) happy with Sharon Zambito's instructional DVD, 'Perfecting the Art of Buttercream.' She devotes an entire DVD to your question. You can PM her here on CC, she's Sugarshack.

ElmwoodHero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElmwoodHero Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 8

ok. thanks, i will check it out

cakeglitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeglitz Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 8

You can also use a foam paint brush roller after your b/c has crusted. It works great!! That's pretty much all I ever use. They key to crusting buttercream is to not over whip it (to avoid too much air) and to make sure you have enough powdered sugar in your buttercream. Good Luck!! icon_smile.gif

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 8

Hi! I watched a video on this topic and saw her using a blade with a square edge. This made all of the difference. The second thing I did was stop beating the icing at high speeds. Never go above 3 or 4 and that keeps the air bubbles down. Lastly, once it is crusted over I do the Viva papertowel trick.

My last 2-3 cakes I used these techniques and it worked like a charm.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:45pm
post #7 of 8

I have heard VERY good things about that DVD by Sharon Zambito. In the meantime, here is something I use... http://cakecentral.com/articles/126/quick-easy-smooth-icing-using-a-roller-melvira-method

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:47pm
post #8 of 8

I also found that making my buttercream (Sugarshack's recipe) slightly thinner than I had been, made it much easier to smooth. I still have lots of air bubbles, but I was able to get a very smooth finish using the hot spatula method.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%