Cake To Sit Outside In The Wonderful Fl Heat

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 4:26am by mamawrobin

mindy1204 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a cake this weekned for my grandaughters 5th birthday. It will be a small 2 tier prob 6 and 8 covered in "the chewey marshmellow stuff as she calls it" fondant. I generally use the recipe that is half shortening and half butter but since this is outside I think I should use all shortening. What would you do?

6 replies
jemchina Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 7

I would go with all shortening. I did my daughters 2nd B-day in late May using SugarShacks BC recipe. I live in So. Florida.That day was very windy not melting hot. It held up well, did not melt off the cake. But even by the end of the day I could see the difference in the buttercream from the morning. If you are using MMF on top even better.

icer101 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 7

indydebi says her buttercream recipe stands up heat. She says she doesn,t even cool her van before delivering. Windows down. So you could try that also. yes, sharon zambito is from louisinana, and everyone swears by hers standing up in the heat. hth

Loucinda Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 7

I will vouch for sugarshacks recipe...it holds like a dream in the heat. I think her being from Louisiana is a good indicator for how hers will hold too! icon_smile.gif (and it is DELICIOUS! - it is picked hands down over the butter recipe buttercreams I offer!)

mindy1204 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:30am
post #5 of 7

Thanks very much ladies I will look at the other recipes. And I will be using wilton it is my grand daughters favorite and it is afterall her birthday.

catlharper Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:40am
post #6 of 7

Keep in mind that it will be a soft cake when you go to cut it. Have a bucket of water and one wet and one dry towel for washing/wiping/drying the knife as you cut. It will keep you cleaner and make cutting neat pieces easier.

Cat

mamawrobin Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 4:26am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

indydebi says her buttercream recipe stands up heat. She says she doesn,t even cool her van before delivering. Windows down. So you could try that also. yes, sharon zambito is from louisinana, and everyone swears by hers standing up in the heat. hth

I use Indydebi's recipe exclusively because it will hold up to our Arkansas heat and humidity. I made a three tiered cake(12/9/6 inch tiers) for an outdoor event a couple of weeks ago. Our temperature that day was 100 degrees with 98% humidity. The "heat index" was something like 110. The cake sat outdoors from 2PM until 4:30PM before cutting and held up perfectly.

Also, I would use non perishable fillings so that I didn't have to refrigerate the cake. Taking a cake from a refrigerator and introducing it into the heat and humidity will cause problems that are easily avoidable simply by not ever refrigerating the cake in the first place. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%