Wilton Fondant And Gum Paste Class

Decorating By LisaMarie86 Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 7:27pm by cake-angel

LisaMarie86 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 13

I am starting the Wilton Fondant and Gum Paste class in just over a week and on the syllabus it says we need to bring thick spaghetti (#5) What on earth is it just dried pasta? And what will we be using it for. I am so confused. Any help is greatly appreciated!

12 replies
Malakin Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 13

Oohh. Not sure, they changed the class recently but I use the spaghetti to cover gently in fondant and use in my Spiderman pic for the webbing. Maybe that.

dsilvest Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 13

Instead of using toothpicks or wire in flower making they now use spaghetti. It is edible. Try to find the thickest one you are able to buy.

icer101 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 13

hi, this speghetti is used to make the base for the g/p mum and the base for the rose. They use to use toothpick to insert in the base of the rose, now speghetti. You can use speghetti for any base for small flowers. or toothpicks. using speghetti is safer. But i am not saying i like it better.lol

zamora Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 13

I just finish taking this class for the month of June so I know what you mean. We needed the thick spaghetti for the flower making. Wilton is moving away from the wires and using the spaghetti. The teacher recommended the brand Barrila Thick Spaghetti. I didn't think it made a difference but it does. The regular spaghetti broke easily when I was trying to do the carnation bud. This noodle stick was a lot firmer although it still breaks so you have to be extra careful not to put too much pressure.

TexasSugar Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 13

I actually found some at Big Lots, well I found the #4 but it was the thickest they had. Basicly you want to skip over thin spagetti and go for the thicker noodle. As was said above, it is used for the rose and mum in place of using toothpicks. It is edible and least likely to hurt someone if they bite into it.

cake-angel Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 13

It works great if you can get the thick spaghetti - unfortunately in my city - not possible. I have been to every grocer here and all we can get is regular spaghetti. I made it work for me but my students ended up using toothpicks because they kept breaking the spaghetti.

LisaMarie86 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 11:40am
post #8 of 13

Thanks for the responses I was so confused and can't find my instructors email addy I know I wrote it down somewhere just not sure where that somewhere is. I can see where spaghetti would be safer to use on cake than toothpicks would be.

adamsgama Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:40pm
post #9 of 13

Cake-angel

I know buying some things can be tough out where you are. Do you have any Italian grocery stores out there. If you ever need any packages sent to you I would be glad to mail a couple out. I pay .99 a pakage here.

PM me if I can be of any help

Sue B

TexasSugar Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:55pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsgama

Cake-angel

I know buying some things can be tough out where you are. Do you have any Italian grocery stores out there.

That's why I found it at my Big Lots, it is a different brand than the stuff you normally sold in the grocery stores.

Even though I only found the #4 we didn't have too many problems with it. I snapped one, then I had a student break a few, but over all it worked for us.

cake-angel Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:20pm
post #11 of 13

Thank you adamsgama and TexasSugar. I am still looking for spaghetti that is thick enough. Unfortuneately there are no specialty grocery stores out where I live. I am in a small city so although we have many stores, none of them are specialty. I plan on getting some from Little Italy next time I get to the big city (about 5 hours from here) I did make the regular spaghetti work and the toothpicks were the students choice on their own as they had previously taken Course 3 and decided it was better for them. I did tell them the reasons for using spaghetti so maybe they will try it in the future. I am teaching Decorating Basics in July so I do have some time before I need spaghetti again. Out here all I have been able to find is spaghettini and spaghetti regular. No sizes on the packages but they all look exactly the same regardless of brand. Who knows - Maybe I will experiment with making my own. LOL.

TexasSugar Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:11pm
post #12 of 13

The toothpicks will definetly work, especially in an area that it is hard to find the thicker noodles in. I'd probably just keep letting them choose.

Personally I show my students how to do the calla lilly on a 'stick', because I think it is easier to handle and place in the cake later that way.

cake-angel Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:27pm
post #13 of 13

I have to agree with you about the Calla Lily but haven't shown the students that option. The toothpick is always an option here. I do make sure to tell them what the risks of using toothpicks are so they can make their own decision. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%