Cake Edges Too Hard

Baking By Prettyinpinkparties Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 2:14am by frizzyhead

Prettyinpinkparties Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 6

Sometimes when I bake my cakes the edges turn out overdone. When I leave it in until the middle is cooked enough, then the edges are over done. It could just be my crappy oven icon_rolleyes.gif Any advice one how to avoid this?

5 replies
terrig007 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 6

Something similar was asked awhile back and someone suggested putting a ramekin of water in the oven while the cake is baking. I started doing that and haven't had that problem since. HTH

CBMom Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:34am
post #3 of 6

Baking strips helped me.
And gets the cakes much more level too.

Soak them really, really well.
And I just leave the pins in - that way, they're already sized for my larger pans.

In the small 6 inch round, I find sometimes I get a "ridge" of cooked cake right around the top. I just take my cake scissors and cut that part off.

leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:47am
post #4 of 6

What temp are you baking at? Have you checked your oven with an oven thermometer?

indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:58am
post #5 of 6

I use baking strips on all cake pans. Here's how baking strips work:

Reduce your oven temp.
As leah says, CHECK your oven temp. There was a recent thread in which a CC'er got a thermometer to check the temp and it was baking at something like 30 degrees hotter or something like that.

frizzyhead Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:14am
post #6 of 6

I was having this prob too so I bought the strips (which stopped the prob) then I checked my oven temp w/ an oven therm. I set the oven to 325 & it read 340! So I turned it down. But when I put the cakes in & then turned the light on and looked at the temp (like 15 min. into baking) it went down! It was only reading about 3 degrees higher. So needless to say I was very irritated! So does anyone know, does the oven temp change on an oven therm. when there is something in the oven? I still dont get it....

Quote by @%username% on %date%