Extracts

Baking By veghed Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 9:23pm by DeeDelightful

veghed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veghed Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 8

I made WASC cake last night (my house smells like a confectionary delight). It did not come out white white, but with a slight yellow tinge. I am sure that it is because I use regular vanilla and almond extracts (as well as butter).

The problem is that all of the clear vanillas I have found in stores and online are immitation. I am a little leary of immitations when there are real extracts available.

What do you guys do?

7 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 8

I only use real vanilla. I think eggs actually make more of a color difference than the vanilla. If I'm making a white cake I don't use whole eggs, just the whites and then the flavoring doesn't make much difference in the color, I'd describe it as BARELY off-white, not yellow or even ivory.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 8

I was always a firm believer in using only the best all-natural vanilla until I read the results of a taste study done by the American Test Kitchens. They found that essentially equivalent results were achieved with both natural vanilla and imitation vanilla flavoring. In fact, there was a slight preference for the taste of the vanilla flavoring in the test results. Their recommendation, therefore, was to save your money and buy imitation vanilla flavoring.

I use clear vanilla flavoring in my white buttercreams and cakes. I make a 50/50 butter/Crisco buttercream, with clear vanilla, that is a perfect color match to my homemade Marshmallow Fondant.

I use regular vanilla flavoring when I want my buttercream to have an ivory color and in all non-white cake recipes.

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:09am
post #4 of 8

I use real vanilla in all my cakes. I only use clear vanilla extract (imitation) when I have to have white-white icing. Did you use the whole eggs? It seems that if you only used the whites it would not come out yellowish.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:20am
post #5 of 8

I use real vanilla!! icon_smile.gif

veghed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veghed Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:48am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4realLaLa

I use real vanilla in all my cakes. I only use clear vanilla extract (imitation) when I have to have white-white icing. Did you use the whole eggs? It seems that if you only used the whites it would not come out yellowish.

I sure did. It never occured to me that the egg yolks would color the cake. I don't really care if it is not super white; the flavor is what counts to me.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 9:10pm
post #7 of 8

Spices Etc. has a natural clear vanilla (and many other natural flavors). I've had lots of success ordering from them!

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 8

Unless a super white cake is specified, I would use the real vanilla and whole eggs. To the "naked eye", it's still a white cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%