Mmf To Dry ?

Baking By Prettyinpinkparties Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 6:19pm by dsilvest

Prettyinpinkparties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prettyinpinkparties Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 10

I made MMF for the first time, but it's breaking apart easily doesn't stretch much. Did I put too much powder sugar in it? What can I do to make it work. I made a large amount to cover a cake tomorrow.

Thanks

9 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 10

Here are some options

1. Make another batch that is sticky and knead the two batches together.
2. Melt some more marshmallows and knead them in. You might also add some more shortening while you are kneading.
3. Warm the fondant in the microwave and knead in some water and shortening.

Next time leave out 1 cup of PS until after the rest period. You may or may not need it.

AXOCutie143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AXOCutie143 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 10

I was having tons of problems with my MFF too, but then I found a slightly different recipe that uses a little bit of corn syrup too, which really helps the pliability.

dsilvest Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 10

I also add some glucose and glycerine to my MMF. Don't have any problems with it's texture.

Prettyinpinkparties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prettyinpinkparties Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 10

I cut off a chunk to work with to make some stripes. I warmed it up in the microwave a little and that helped. I'm not sure if that will work when I roll it out to cover the cake with it, so maybe I will try to add somemore MM's to it.

Thanks

nordi2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nordi2008 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:59pm
post #6 of 10

dsilvest, how much gliceryn and glucosa do you put it icon_confused.gif could you let me know please icon_lol.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:05pm
post #7 of 10

I use the recipe with glycerine in it. Makes a world of difference. The recipe is on this site. It's called "MacsMoms BC flavored variation"

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 10

when i make michelle fosters fondant, and it is dry. I just add some glycerin(don,t measure) and some extra shortening, and knead and knead and knead. It will come together and be pliable to roll out to cover the cake . hth i might warm a little in micro on really low heat.

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:13pm
post #9 of 10

I make MMF all the time and for some reason the other day I ended up with a really dry batch as well. All I did to fix it was throw it back in the microwave with another tablespoon or so (depending on how big your batch is) of water and heated it for 30 seconds. Pulled it out, kneaded it again, and it turned out perfect. Hope this helps!

dsilvest Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:19pm
post #10 of 10

I add 2 tbsp glycose or corn syrup and 1 tbsp glycerine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%