Fondant Pearls

Decorating By leafO Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 7:19am by sweettreat101

leafO Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, I'm new to cake central. I love all the informative posts in the forum. I will be doing my first wedding cake for a family member at the end of the month. I will be doing a 14" 10" 6" tiered fondant covered cake. I've done tiered cakes before but never a wedding cake, any tips or advice you have would be appreciated.

I was wondering if it is worth it to buy a pearl strand mold for a project of this size or if it is just as easy to cut them out of fondant with a large pastry tip and roll them by hand and place on the cake individually. Also what size pearl(mm) would you recommend for a cake this size?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

3 replies
sweettreat101 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 8:20am
post #2 of 4

Depends on what you are planning on doing with the pearls and how many you will need. In my photos the cake with the feather boa has little pearls attached to the fondant using a little royal icing. I purchase mine because they are inexpensive and to time consuming to make. I just noticed that Michaels carries them and you could use their 40% off coupon and save a bunch. I just do an online search for printable Michaels coupons and print them up. I believe the bottle was around 5.00 and it was a good size. That's before the discount. I prefer the smaller pearls myself. As for wedding cake construction I use Stress Free supports. I love them. No more cutting. You just screw the legs to the desired height on the stainless steel plate, press and go. I made my friends wedding cake and I told her that I wanted to keep the supports for part of the payment. They are well worth the cost. You can even place longer legs on one side and shorter on the other for Topsy Turvy cakes. No more doweling down the middle either. Watch the video on the Stress free site and you can see how it's done. The lady that invented them even shows you a picture of her standing on them and her holding a cake sideways without the cake falling.

leafO Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the info on the cake supports, they look really sturdy and easy to use. I had been looking at the cake stackers system but this one looks much less complicated. I'll have to pick up some of those premade pearls for another project I'm working on they look so cute. Your cake is adorable! For this project though she wants a string of pearls for a border at the bottom of each tier on the cake. Do they make the premade pearls in larger sizes?

sweettreat101 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 7:19am
post #4 of 4

They do. You can get them from fondant source cheap. If they want a string of pearls I would just purchase string pearls on a roll from Walmart. I purchased a roll of 1/4" or 6mm pearls 9 feet long for 1.97.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%