Vacation Cake!

Baking By Babarooskie Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 6:51pm by nana_marta

Babarooskie Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 16

I am going away on vacation this weekend for a week (the Bahamas- yay for me!) with friends and family. It's a friends birthday the day we arrive in the Bahamas and I was asked to bake a cake for him. Rather than saying, "No, the only thing in my hand you will find me with is a margarita" I said yes. Don't judge me.

I normally bake from scratch, however, I am not THAT crazy to do this on my vacation. So here's where you all come in: I need an easy, yummy, red velvet cake recipe from a mix. Did I mention it has to be easy?

Please help this Bahama Mama!

15 replies
Babarooskie Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 16

Anyone??

Babarooskie Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:37pm
post #3 of 16

Well... I guess I'll have to wing it.
Thanks, I guess. icon_rolleyes.gif

Doug Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 16

does it HAVE to be red velvet? does it HAVE to be a real "cake"?

I'd make DUMP cake. Easy, decadent, FATTENING! and goes well with most anything

here's the PDF of recipe:

Doug Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 16

hmmm...pdf seems to acting up. So, here it is, again:

Dump Cake

Ingredients

• 1 pkg. cake mix  
    2 cans fruit pie filling
    2 sticks of butter (yum!) / margarine (ick)

Instructions

• 1. Grease a 9 X 13 cake pan (disposable = easy clean-up)
    2. Dump pie filling in and spread evenly.
    3. Dump on cake mix dry and spread evenly.
    4. Dot small slices of butter evenly on top of dry cake.
    5. Bake in 350 º oven until crust forms, 40 min. to 1 hour (white yellow: shorter, chocolate: longer)

Variations: The fun of making dump cake is in experimenting with various combinations of flavors of cake mix and filling.

• 1.  Add a small can of crushed pineapple. Drain pineapple. Add half w/ juice to filling. Sprinkle remaining on top of butter.
    2.  Use only one can of pie filling and add one 8 oz. can drained, crushed pineapple.
    3.  Instead of dumping on dry cake mix, mix it w/ melted butter to form crumbs and put crumbs on top of pie filling.
    4.  Sprinkle chopped nuts on top of butter. Especially good: pecans with banana cake mix.
    5.  Use only one stick of butter. Melt it and drizzle all over the top. (BOOOO thats not fattening enough!)
    6.  Freeze butter and grate it evenly over cake. (messy, but it works to get a very even crust)
    7.  Flavor combinations (cake mix/filling):

• Yellow cake / most any filling very much like a mock cobbler
      French vanilla/apple
      French vanilla/cherry
      French vanilla/peach
      chocolate/cherry
      chocolate/blueberry
      chocolate/strawberry
      spice/apple
      banana/strawberry

LindaF144a Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 16

The only thing I want to add is from my own research Red Velvet box mixes are said to be dry.

There are a couple of doctored cake mixes here on CC, which I am assuming you already looked at before you waited for an answer here. But I thought I would mention it.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 16

Hmmm.....
If your friend wants red velvet - do a dump cake with the red velvet cake mix, some kind of berry for the pie filling, and mix butter and cream cheese (1 stick butter, cream cheese - enought to compensate for the other stick of butter)to sprinkle over the top before baking.

nana_marta Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:53pm
post #8 of 16

Will they totally hate you if you renig on the cake? After all this is your vacation too- and a RED VELVET!!??? icon_rolleyes.gif Although I might say that red velvet dump one sound very tasty! But I have a feeling you are a good friend, and a person who keeps her word(as I would do too!) Look for the doctored ones here on CC. Good Luck and WONDERFUL vacation!! thumbs_up.gif

cutthecake Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:56pm
post #9 of 16

When you arrive at the hotel, call the nearest restaurant/bakery and order a Red Velvet Cake, and wish your friend a Happy Birthday.

KASCARLETT Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:57pm
post #10 of 16

You can also do a trifle! I did that one time when I was going to make a german chocolate cake for a friend's wedding. (it was a very informal wedding). The cake came out sticking to the pan and since I was in another state - I just make a trifle with it! And it was a huge hit - so I named it "Mistake Trifle"! lol

Bake the red velvet cake mix as directed - let cool, then crumble it up in bite size pieces. Mix a packet of pudding mix (your choice of flavor) with a container of whipped topping. Put a 1/3 of the cake in bottom of trifle bowl, 1/3 of topping, 1/3 of cake, 1/3 of topping, remaining 1/3 of cake and topping and sprinkle some nuts on it. There you go!!! lol

KHalstead Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:03pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

When you arrive at the hotel, call the nearest restaurant/bakery and order a Red Velvet Cake, and wish your friend a Happy Birthday.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif That's what I would do!! icon_lol.gif Maybe bring yourself a little tube of grocery store icing in a tube w/ a plastic tip and write a message yourself lol

KHalstead Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:05pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KASCARLETT

You can also do a trifle! I did that one time when I was going to make a german chocolate cake for a friend's wedding. (it was a very informal wedding). The cake came out sticking to the pan and since I was in another state - I just make a trifle with it! And it was a huge hit - so I named it "Mistake Trifle"! lol

Bake the red velvet cake mix as directed - let cool, then crumble it up in bite size pieces. Mix a packet of pudding mix (your choice of flavor) with a container of whipped topping. Put a 1/3 of the cake in bottom of trifle bowl, 1/3 of topping, 1/3 of cake, 1/3 of topping, remaining 1/3 of cake and topping and sprinkle some nuts on it. There you go!!! lol

mmmmmmmmmmmm, if you do this I suggest the cheesecak pudding mix...then you'll have that cream cheese layer in there. Might even be able to BUY a storebought red velvet cake to crumble up?

Doug Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:06pm
post #13 of 16

thought --

is the resort/hotel even going to have an OVEN you can use????

-----

hmm....liquid B-day cake is sounding even better!

red velvet cocktail!
http://www.1001cocktails.com/recipes/mixed-drinks/106540/cocktail-red-velvet.html

use a candle for the stirrer! icon_wink.gif

alsiemen Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:19pm
post #14 of 16

Are you traveling with the ingredients? Can you get them through customs? IF not it is pretty expensive to buy on the islands. We had family on the island who shuttled stuff back and forth from Florida because it was cheaper then buying on the island. May be cheaper/easier and less of a hassle just to buy a cake once you get there. Have fun!

Babarooskie Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:25pm
post #15 of 16

Thank you all for your replies! icon_biggrin.gif

I will have an oven to use- my family and I rented a 4-bedroom condo with full kitchen so I'm good in that department.

I told her the ingredients that I would need and she's going to purchase them. And when I say "she", I mean the birthday boys wife. If she has a problem with the ingredients.....oh well icon_rolleyes.gif

We are bringing food from the states- it's not that hard. They're very strict on fruits and produce. But you can bring like popcorn, hummus, chips, etc.
I know, I know... I should've said no....but, but...but...I don't know.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes. I'm thinking about the dump cake....I'm ponder on it overnight.

nana_marta Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:51pm
post #16 of 16

So you make one of the different ones- dump 0r trifle- and call it "Island Red Velvet" icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%