How Long Would This Take??

Decorating By auntginn Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 5:57pm by Donnabugg

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 19

This cake was made by another bakery. The owner claims it would take her 3 hours to make. Can this be? She said from start to finish!! I know I couldn't do it that amount of time. How bout you?

Sorry if it seems like I'm calling her a liar, that's not my intention. I'm trying to learn because as we all know time is money but if I speed up my work, it comes out sloppy, so I would like to know how others do things and yet put out beautiful work.
LL

18 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 19

You mean including baking or just decorating? Just the deco, yeah, sure.

auntginn Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 19

Ok lets just say, just the deco, wouldn't you need time for those stars to dry?

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 19

Maybe she wasn't including drying time. She might of been talking about having everything ready (cakes baked, pieces dried) and then just having to assemble. I know it would take me at least that long with having everything ready, if not longer.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 19

she's prob not including the baking or drying time. the decorating I could do in 3 hours

leah_s Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 19

Actually I can get the stars to dry in that amount of time, but maybe not the 4. I actually put CMC into gumpaste and add extra cornstarch. It's practically set up when I'm working with it. Gotta be fast. icon_smile.gif

auntginn Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:07pm
post #7 of 19

What is CMC? I've used tylose in fondant but it to me that 4 might take some time.

leah_s Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:09pm
post #8 of 19

same thing, I think.

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:21pm
post #9 of 19

I think 3 hours is resonable for decorating. Typically I break up projects like that and cut the things to dry in one sitting, etc so all in all probably mini sessions that total 3 hours

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:37pm
post #10 of 19

I would say yeah 3 hours not counting baking time....but wrapping the board, filling and icing the cakes, fondant, stacking, decorating, and stars and number "4" would take about 3 hours. Although I wouldn't do all mine in one full day, I'd have made the 4 and the stars early (mostly the 4, I can do stars straight on the cake if I don't feel like doing them early) and sometimes I crumb coat and ice the day before the fondant, or hours before at least, and then chill.

If you count baking and cooling time, then more than 3 hours of course.

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:58pm
post #11 of 19

I agree withe everyone else. Without including baking, cooling, leveling,and all the extras it probably could only take 3 hours BUT, you have to remember that SOMETIMES bakeries already have pre-made or pre-purchased decor on hand. Not to mention, that maybe there is more than One person working on the cake (like we see of some shows) With this being said, she probably can do it in that time frame.

auntginn Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:29pm
post #12 of 19

Ok so than I guess I need to do things a little different. Or stop looking at all the details that go into cake decorating ... lol

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:08am
post #13 of 19

I could do that cake in 3 hrs (not counting baking or cooling time). But I would tell someone that it took 3 hrs on that cake, but they would really have no idea that it was 3 hrs over the past 24 hrs lol.

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:58am
post #14 of 19

lol with the both of you icon_smile.gif

Auntginn, I love your quote/signature, love it!

auntginn Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:59pm
post #15 of 19

Thank you msthang1224

mustangsallii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustangsallii Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:28pm
post #16 of 19

Like everyone else said, three hours for decorating alone is plenty of time. If I have fondant bows or embellishments like the stars sticking out of the cake I would do them a day or two in advance so they can dry. The fondant work on the cake is simple. The most time consuming thing is coloring the fondant!

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:38pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I would say yeah 3 hours not counting baking time....but wrapping the board, filling and icing the cakes, fondant, stacking, decorating, and stars and number "4" would take about 3 hours. Although I wouldn't do all mine in one full day, I'd have made the 4 and the stars early (mostly the 4, I can do stars straight on the cake if I don't feel like doing them early) and sometimes I crumb coat and ice the day before the fondant, or hours before at least, and then chill.

Kitagirl...holy moly..I bow to you! Takes me that long to roll the fondant out!! lol Guess I better pick it up a notch! icon_smile.gif

auntginn Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 5:14pm
post #18 of 19

Yes, I'm sure that if all things being perfect.... and she had all the prep work done so that it was only the decorating then of course 3 hours would be enough, but... we all know that when we are counting the time to make a cake "from start to finish" which is what she said, it couldn't be done. For me the prep work can take that much time.

Last week I made a cake "from start to finish" including baking, painting fondant etc.. in the shape of a boon box. It was a small cake and it took me pretty much all of 7 yrs. (Had to include the cooling time of the cake, although we don't charge for that, lol)

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 5:57pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Kitagirl...holy moly..I bow to you! Takes me that long to roll the fondant out!! lol Guess I better pick it up a notch! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%