Decorated Choc. Chip?

Baking By emrldsky Updated 6 Jul 2010 , 3:22pm by emrldsky

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 12:48pm
post #1 of 13

I have a client that wants 3-4 dozen decorated cookies, and just yesterday (grr) she asks if those can be choc. chip. Now, I quoted her $2/cookie for decorated sugar cookies. I can make the choc. chip ones the same diameter (3"), but what can I do as far as decorating them to make them each $2 cookies? I was thinking choc. buttercream border and piping?

But then, how can I package the cookies so the buttercream doesn't squish or fall off?

Is there a way to roll out choc. chip cookie dough to be able to cut them?

Any advice right now would be very welcome!! icon_biggrin.gif

TIA.

12 replies
kcjc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcjc Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:02pm
post #2 of 13

You could scoop out the choc chip dough w/ice cream scoop so they are all uniform size or you could chill dough and then roll in wax paper into a long cylinder and keep chilled so you can slice them easily( like the pilsbury dough boy cookie rolls rwady to slice and bake. I often roll my left over cookie dough in wax paper then aluminum foil and pop in freezer for a quick cookie snack. few min out of freezer ready to salice.
As for decorating how about a round disk of chocolate fondant with an impresion on it or a scolloped edge and little mini white chips on outer edge. Not sure of costs to keep it so it doesn't go overboard.
good luck, karen

kcjc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcjc Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:06pm
post #3 of 13

sorry for my previous spelling but more importantly...don't you just love these last minute changes to orders after your all set finance and idea wise. Grrr is right. I'm sure they will be great and delicious.

emrldsky Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcjc

sorry for my previous spelling but more importantly...don't you just love these last minute changes to orders after your all set finance and idea wise. Grrr is right. I'm sure they will be great and delicious.

Thanks! I completely agree, but she's a coworker and one of my first orders. I'm only letting her get away with it because I need the business. icon_wink.gif I'm not afraid to tell her no in the future if it comes to that.

And thanks for the suggestions! I hadn't thought of using a disk of fondant. That might actually be pretty, yet masculine at the same time (these are for her husband). Oh! And I can cut the design (the number 40) out of fondant, instead of trying to hand-pipe or even stenciling it on on. icon_biggrin.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 13

I decorate really LARGE chocolate chip cookies --you know the ones they call "cookie cakes"?? I use buttercream because there is no need to worry about stacking, etc when it just slides into a big flat box.

If I were going to do a a bunch I'd probably use the same frosting as on a regular sugar cookie-- or a royal icing.

Also--when I want a flat chocolate chip cookie, instead of the usual butter I always use in my baking, I'll pick up some margarine that has 80 calories per T...this allows for some water to be added and the cookies will spread. I only want spreading chocolate chip cookies when I'm using them for decorating or ice cream sandwiches.

Good luck!

emrldsky Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 13

Do you think it might be better to bake a large rectangle cookie and cut the circles out of them, instead of trying to make all my cookies perfectly round BEFORE baking?

I'm just thinking it might be easier. That way, they'll cool, I can decorated a perfect circle, and my client gets her choc. chip cookies.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 13

Karen's Cookies has an excellent recipe for roll-out chocolate chip cookies! You use mini chips. Decorate like you would any sugar cookie...RI or glace...probably fondant would work as well.

emrldsky Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:41pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

Karen's Cookies has an excellent recipe for roll-out chocolate chip cookies! You use mini chips. Decorate like you would any sugar cookie...RI or glace...probably fondant would work as well.

I literally just stumbled across that very recipe! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks! I think that's my best bet. I might need to do a trial run and see how it turns out. Looks like DH is going to have to start eating cookies. icon_smile.gif

Thanks again!!!

emilyc262 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyc262 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:22am
post #9 of 13

I've done choco chip by subbing 1/2 the white sugar with brown and adding mini chips to NFSC. Rolled and cut with no problem. I decorated just like usual which, for me, is with antonia74 royal. Good luck!

emrldsky Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:30am
post #10 of 13

Ok, so it's either me, or it's cookies, because I tried both the recipe for Karen's Cookies, and the one Emily suggested (altered NFSC), and both turned out, well, gross tasting to me.

Did I do something wrong? They turned out dry, and bland. The only good flavoring was the chocolate. icon_sad.gif

I have a great choc. chip cookie recipe that always turns out for me. I'm just feeling a bit disheartened.

homebasedbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homebasedbaking Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:49pm
post #11 of 13

Here is a chocolate chip cookie recipe that is 50 years old and it was traditional at weddings years ago in the mid-west, I know I was a caterer. It is light, slightly sweet and absolutely beautiful. You can make it in any shape you like, but I love the 2-3 inch heart shape, dipping have the heart in chocolate. You may also make the cookie dough in advance, but bake the day before, since the flavor intensifies over time. Plus they're good keepers! Scroll half way down the page and print the recipe with photo, you'll see what I mean. This dough is so versatile! Enjoy
http://homebasedbaking.com/peek-inside

emrldsky Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:03pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebasedbaking

Here is a chocolate chip cookie recipe that is 50 years old and it was traditional at weddings years ago in the mid-west, I know I was a caterer. It is light, slightly sweet and absolutely beautiful. You can make it in any shape you like, but I love the 2-3 inch heart shape, dipping have the heart in chocolate. You may also make the cookie dough in advance, but bake the day before, since the flavor intensifies over time. Plus they're good keepers! Scroll half way down the page and print the recipe with photo, you'll see what I mean. This dough is so versatile! Enjoy
http://homebasedbaking.com/peek-inside

Thank you! I'll have to give this a try. icon_biggrin.gif

emrldsky Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 3:22pm
post #13 of 13

Alright! Cookies were picked up yesterday. icon_smile.gif I just spread out my standard dough on parchment-lined cookie sheets, then cut out the cookies with a circle cutter. icon_smile.gif

They came out thick and yummy! I then cut out 48 #4s, and #0s to put on the cookies (a mixture of candy clay and chocolate fondant), placed the cookies in bags, and added a label with my URL. PHEW!

I'm really glad to be done with those. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%