Egg White Safety

Decorating By veghed Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 8:26pm by veghed

veghed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veghed Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:36am
post #1 of 15

I really want to make the IMBC icing that you all have talked about. I want to use fresh egg whites and figured I could purchase pasturized egg whites like had previously when I made mayonaise. When I read the label, it stated that because of the processing, their egg whites were not suitable for meringue (which is wierd since mayonaise and meringue both come from whipping the heck out of egg whites)

What do you guys do? Does anyone else worry about safety?

14 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 12:44pm
post #2 of 15

This is how I understand it. Pasteurization is a heating process that will break down some of the protein in the egg. This protein is what gives meringue it's structure. I have , however spoken to pastry chefs that use them all the time without problems. I just use regular whites as you bring them up to a safe temp while adding the molten sugar syrup.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 12:44pm
post #3 of 15

You are going to get answer from those of us who swear by fresh egg whites and those of us who use liquid and it works just fine. So be prepared to be confused even more! icon_biggrin.gif

So instead of repeat myself, here is the discussion about this topic from about a week ago. Hopefully it will help you.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6861880-.html#6861880

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 15

Why not make SMBC instead - you heat the egg whites with the sugar to over 160 degrees, ensuring that you've killed any bacteria....I've never made IMBC, so I don't know the difference in taste or texture firsthand, but I know SMBC is lovely, and using a thermometer, I feel confident about the safety issue.

LindaF144a Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 15

I'm pretty sure that pouring sugar that has been heated to about 238 degrees cooks the meringue. In the youtube video from Cakelove he talks about this and how it heats the meringues. But I love SMBC too. I have read conflicting reports on the taste difference. Some say there is a difference and others say there isn't. The only way to find out is to try it myself!

I also hear that IMBC is very stable because you candy the sugar ahead of time. I have got to try this soon. I plan on making an uncooked butter based buttercream, SMBC and IMBC and compare taste. We are so curious as to the difference that I can't think of any other way.

veghed Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

You are going to get answer from those of us who swear by fresh egg whites and those of us who use liquid and it works just fine. So be prepared to be confused even more! icon_biggrin.gif

So instead of repeat myself, here is the discussion about this topic from about a week ago. Hopefully it will help you.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6861880-.html#6861880

This was very helpful. I think I am going to try it with pasturized. The worse that could happen is that it won't work.

veghed Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:06pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJoycake

Why not make SMBC instead - you heat the egg whites with the sugar to over 160 degrees, ensuring that you've killed any bacteria....I've never made IMBC, so I don't know the difference in taste or texture firsthand, but I know SMBC is lovely, and using a thermometer, I feel confident about the safety issue.

I had never heard of SMBC until a couple of days ago when I read about it here. Since so many talk about IMBC I wanted to try it. Someone else suggested mixing 50/50 BC/IMBC and I want to try that too.

On the link that Linda posted, there was another link to a Martha Stewart SMBC. That recipe did not heat the egg whites. Do you have a good one that does?

LindaF144a Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:11pm
post #8 of 15

I'm pretty sure that if the egg whites are not heated, then it is not a SMBC.

There is a good SMBC on here under the recipe section. Sinful good or something like that.

Here it is:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7486/sinful-swiss-meringue-butter-cream

Hopefully it is hot linked. If not you can copy and paste it.

HTH

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:29pm
post #9 of 15

I use fresh egg whites--nothing from a carton has ever given me results as good as those from shell eggs. I also make my royal icing the old fashioned way, with egg whites. I haven't killed anyone yet, so I think I'm safe lol.

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:30pm
post #10 of 15

I always make IMBC with pasteurized whites because I've repeatedly poured in the hot sugar and immediately taken the temperature of the mixture, and it has never registered more than 130 degrees, which is not hot enough to kill salmonella.

That being said, I know many people feel egg whites are safer than yolks, that the chances of their being bacteria in eggs are really slim ( that is correct) and that it has been done for years this way (that is also correct) I'd just rather not have to worry. Studies have shown that eggs in the US in recent years have more bacteria than was historically the case.

Studies have also shown that people in the US love to sue other people whether the cases have merit or not--Just saying....

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:49pm
post #11 of 15

Mayo is egg yolks whipped like crazy. Made it tons of times and its yolks or whole eggs but not just egg whites. I use pasturized egg whites for meringue and works just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veghed

I really want to make the IMBC icing that you all have talked about. I want to use fresh egg whites and figured I could purchase pasturized egg whites like had previously when I made mayonaise. When I read the label, it stated that because of the processing, their egg whites were not suitable for meringue (which is wierd since mayonaise and meringue both come from whipping the heck out of egg whites)

What do you guys do? Does anyone else worry about safety?

veghed Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:53pm
post #12 of 15

You know, I would be very curious to know what those of you who work in retail and upscale bakeries use?

I think, for my family, I would not worry about salmonella, but lawsuits are an issue in the very unlikely event that something is tainted.

veghed Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:55pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie86

Mayo is egg yolks whipped like crazy. Made it tons of times and its yolks or whole eggs but not just egg whites.

Good to know. The recipe I used only called for whites and oil.

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:29pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by veghed

Quote:

Mayo is egg yolks whipped like crazy. Made it tons of times and its yolks or whole eggs but not just egg whites.

Good to know. The recipe I used only called for whites and oil.

Do you still have it? Id be interested in comparing them. It would save some cholesterol with whites only. Interesting would have never thought it would work.

veghed Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:26pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:

Do you still have it? Id be interested in comparing them. It would save some cholesterol with whites only. Interesting would have never thought it would work.

I looked, but I can't find it. I look more later.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%