Help! Gumpaste Characters That Require Thin Bent Legs

Decorating By kayeldesign Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 5:55pm by cakequeen50

kayeldesign Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:04am
post #1 of 5

I am about to start a birthday cake for my soon to be 3 yr old niece. It is based on the David Kirk books "Miss Spider's Sunny Patch". The characters are spiders and have thin legs that are bent. I am looking for any help that I can get on how to make those legs so that they will support the gumpaste body's and heads an get them stand if possible. I have added an attachment of the characters so that it would easier for anyone who can help see what I am trying to accomplish. Please, any help would be appreciated!!
LL

4 replies
sweettreat101 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:16am
post #2 of 5

If it were me I would just use floral wire with gumpaste or fondant feet.

cheatize Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 5

My vote is for wire, too. You could dip it in chocolate if gumpaste would make them too thick. The only issue is making sure those little ones don't get ahold of those figures and try to eat them.

chellescountrycakes Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 5

I would put something under the belly to actually hold it up, not using the legs entirely to do the job. Maybe a flower stem that goes under the body and then comes out the other side can have a dowell hid in it.

OR a mushroom that they are sitting on. or even let piped grass get taller in taht area under their belly. I would still use wire in the legs,

cakequeen50 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 5

I would definitely use at least 16 gauge florist wire but also start with a styro ball or egg center and use gumpaste over it.
Love the dipping the wire in chocolate idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%