Cc Topsy Turvy Cake Question Please I Need Help

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 8:04am by sweettreat101

sweettreat101 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:44am
post #1 of 6

My friend wants me to make this cake for her two daughters. I have never done a topsy turvy cake before and don't have a clue where to start. She doesn't want anything really big so this cake can be scaled down. What size and how many cakes would I make to achieve both tiers and where would I start at sculpting. For the second cake is the bottom flat and just the top angled? I assume I would need to dowel the middle for this one. TIA
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1697930

5 replies
karateka Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:38am
post #2 of 6

3 layers for each tier. make a cake circle 2 inches in diameter smaller than the cake. Use that as the base to carve. Stack all 3 cakes, then put the cake circle on top and tilt the knife so it cuts around the circle but the tip of the knife is just on the outside edge of the bottom cake. Then when you turn it over, the top cake is slightly bigger around. Make sense?

The 3rd layer is for making the top slanted. Torte it crooked...so you are cutting at the top edge on the left side and at the bottom edge on the right side. Then take them apart, spread icing on the bottom one, and turn the opposite sides together, so it's higher on one side.

You will need to carve out a circle the size of your top tier's bottom layer from your bottom tier's top layer, and put the support there...so your top tier can sit level.

There is a great tutorial on CC. Sugarshack's dvd is good too.

cakequeen50 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 6
Sassy74 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 6

Best thing you can do, if you have time, is to orders Sharon Zambitos TT dvd. I followed it step by step for my first TT, and it came out WONDERFUL! Her directions are easy to follow, and she makes the process as easy/painless as possible. Good luck!

michel30014 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 6

Awesome. Now, I want to do a topsy turvy cake!!. lol

sweettreat101 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 8:04am
post #6 of 6

Thank you for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%