Tort Or Bake Two Layers?

Decorating By pammylynn Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 8:51am by pammylynn

pammylynn Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:59am
post #1 of 7

Ok, probably a dumb question. But, I've just opened a bakery - well - I rent a kitchen and take pre-order's for cakes only.

So, for friends and family - I've been baking two layers for my cakes. I just put less batter in the pans so they aren't humongous cakes! icon_eek.gif Then when I started getting more serious, I tried some torting. I'm trying to figure out fair prices for my clients and am wondering if others just bake one layer and tort it, or if they bake two layers separately and then try to stack them?

The bigger the pan, the harder it is to do it baking two layers. But, when I tort, the cake doesn't appear as high as when I do two layers (but less batter in the pan).

Just curious what is the "correct" way and trying to do better with this whole process.

Thanks you SO much again for any help you all can give.

Pam icon_eek.gif

6 replies
NanaFixIt Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:12am
post #2 of 7

I think most of us bake two layers and tort each layer...so you have four layers of cake and three layers of filling. Makes each cake between 4-5" tall. HTH

pammylynn Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:37am
post #3 of 7

Ah - okay.

Thank you SO very much!!!

icon_smile.gif

pammylynn Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:40am
post #4 of 7

Another question.... Sorry... icon_redface.gif

If someone tells you they just want a single layer cake, do you just bake one pan and tort it? Or do you just bake one pan and ice it un-torted?

And,

Do you just put the exact amount of batter that Wilton recommends in the pan, bake, and tort?

I'm sorry again for the dumb questions...

JaeRodriguez Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:45am
post #5 of 7

I always bake 2 and torte for four! HTH

Cakepro Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:17am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pammylynn

Another question.... Sorry... icon_redface.gif

If someone tells you they just want a single layer cake, do you just bake one pan and tort it? Or do you just bake one pan and ice it un-torted?

And,

Do you just put the exact amount of batter that Wilton recommends in the pan, bake, and tort?

I'm sorry again for the dumb questions...

I fill my 2" deep pans 2/3rds full, regardless of what Wilton says to do. icon_smile.gif

Also, you should note that a layer is a single slab of cake, and a tier is a single cake, which may be comprised of many layers. So a single layer cake would not need to be torted at all, because torting means that you are cutting a cake into multiple layers. Also, you torte a cake into multiple layers...as a tort is an injurious act. icon_biggrin.gif If you are going to be talking with clients, you need to get the terminology down so both of you aren't confused.

Congrats on your rented kitchen adventures.

pammylynn Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:51am
post #7 of 7

Sherri - Thanks!!! Sorry for the misspelling....In these wee hours I am not thinking clearly. icon_redface.gif

I knew that a single layer was one slab, but was wondering what everyone else did...

You have helped a lot. I think I will go with the 2/3rd's full method myself. I want to be sure to get a nice piece to torte!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%