Covering Dummies

Decorating By annabanana183 Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 6:40am by annabanana183

annabanana183 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annabanana183 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:07am
post #1 of 5

I am trying to cover dummy cakes and the fondant keeps tearing at the edges, what am I doing wrong. icon_cry.gif I must have tried 10 times to cover this one dummy .... : ) please help

4 replies
thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:24am
post #2 of 5

Well is it a square dummy or a round dummy. Are you maybe making your fondant to thin? When I cover a dummy usually I make it a little thicker. Are you softening the corners? I sometimes roll my fondant to big and the edges hang down and pull the fondant. Keep trying it will work. You can do it!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:26am
post #3 of 5

Sounds like your fondant may not have enough powdered sugar and may be rolled too thin. I had people tell me that I would have to soften the edges of my dummies but I never did and don't have any problem covering them. Unless it's buttercream but then I have problems with buttercream on real cake too! LOL!

Cat

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:29am
post #4 of 5

Is your fondant drying out? I'm asking since you said that you "must have tried 10 times to cover this dummy" I know that when fondant is out for very long it starts to dry and crack. Also, how thin are you rolling your fondant? Roll it out a little thicker and try kneading in some shortening and give it another try. When I cover a dummy with fondant I also put a thin layer of shortening on the dummy so that the fondant has something to adhere to and it also makes it easier to remove. thumbs_up.gif

annabanana183 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annabanana183 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:40am
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much everyone, I did all the suggestions , applied shortening, sofened the corners and rolled it thicker then usual and it worked icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%