Covering Dummies

Decorating By annabanana183 Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 6:40am by annabanana183

annabanana183 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:07am
post #1 of 5

I am trying to cover dummy cakes and the fondant keeps tearing at the edges, what am I doing wrong. icon_cry.gif I must have tried 10 times to cover this one dummy .... : ) please help

4 replies
thatslifeca Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:24am
post #2 of 5

Well is it a square dummy or a round dummy. Are you maybe making your fondant to thin? When I cover a dummy usually I make it a little thicker. Are you softening the corners? I sometimes roll my fondant to big and the edges hang down and pull the fondant. Keep trying it will work. You can do it!

catlharper Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:26am
post #3 of 5

Sounds like your fondant may not have enough powdered sugar and may be rolled too thin. I had people tell me that I would have to soften the edges of my dummies but I never did and don't have any problem covering them. Unless it's buttercream but then I have problems with buttercream on real cake too! LOL!

Cat

mamawrobin Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:29am
post #4 of 5

Is your fondant drying out? I'm asking since you said that you "must have tried 10 times to cover this dummy" I know that when fondant is out for very long it starts to dry and crack. Also, how thin are you rolling your fondant? Roll it out a little thicker and try kneading in some shortening and give it another try. When I cover a dummy with fondant I also put a thin layer of shortening on the dummy so that the fondant has something to adhere to and it also makes it easier to remove. thumbs_up.gif

annabanana183 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:40am
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much everyone, I did all the suggestions , applied shortening, sofened the corners and rolled it thicker then usual and it worked icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%