Should I...?

Decorating By Michelle84 Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 3:55am by 4realLaLa

Michelle84 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:02am
post #1 of 10

I'm currently on a break from working at a school while I raise my son (now 1 year old) but I pop back in now and then to say hi (and show off my baby thumbs_up.gif ).
They're all very supportive of my cupcakes and cakes, and love it when I bring in new flavours for them to sample.

I just whipped up a batch of vanilla WASC and now I'm stumped on how I should present it to them. They haven't seen any of my cakes yet as I've only just started.

Should I:

a) Bake and decorate a 12" fondant cake, showing off my work as well as giving them a taste test

b) Bake a few small 6" fondant cakes, showing a variety of different designs I can create as well as giving them a taste test

c) Bake a sheet cake and cover in buttercream, no decorations, as a taste test only

What would you do?

9 replies
cheatize Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:18am
post #2 of 10

I vote for A. B is way too much work and C is just feeding them.

bakescupcakes Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:44am
post #3 of 10

Same here! 'A' sounds good. That way you can show the staff what you enjoy doing, may get a few orders.....

mamawrobin Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:36am
post #4 of 10

I'm with the other two ladies...A.

mom2twogrlz Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:55am
post #5 of 10

yep...A

myslady Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:17am
post #6 of 10

depends on what your goal is:

- get them as customers and have them buy from you (A)
be sure to include brochures and/or business cards so they have your
information available

- show them your work (B)
can be accomplished with dummies and pictures

- give them a treat as part of your visit (C)
you should still decorate it, you never know who may see it

Elcee Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 12:54pm
post #7 of 10

I vote for option A, too. I decorate every cake I make, even if it was just to try out a recipe. It gives me practice and allows me to try different techniques and designs.

dreamcakesmom Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:09pm
post #8 of 10

Why is option A only a fondant option? I find the majority of my customers want buttercream as fondant prices are more expensive and a lot of occasions other than weddings they opt for buttercream, what about a 12" BUTTERCREAM decroated cake to show what you can do?

Michelle84 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:15am
post #9 of 10

Thanks all - I went with option A and now have a yummy cake waiting in my freezer.

I've only just started working with fondant on cakes so it would be good practise for me icon_smile.gif

4realLaLa Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:55am
post #10 of 10

I say A is good to show what can do but not overdo it (B is just being a show-off, I'm kidding).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%