Petits Fours

Baking By jenlynnlmt Updated 10 Jul 2010 , 12:54am by AdorableCakes

jenlynnlmt Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:56am
post #1 of 9

help? recipes? suggestions? lol

8 replies
Marianna46 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:18am
post #2 of 9

My favorite petit fours are cut from white cake (the kind you get at weddings), crumbcoated with a thin layer of buttercream and finished with poured fondant (there's a poured fondant recipe here on CC, if I remember correctly). They're usually decorated with a little royal icing or buttercream flower. The best ones I've ever had were from a bakery in my home town (nostalgic much?) and I could eat them by the bucketful if I weren't afraid of ODing on them!

winniep12 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 9

Ok so how do you crumb coat petit fours? They are so small?

winniep12 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 9

I'm looking to get nice and smooth on all sides and the sides are always lumpy and caved in. Will the crumb coat help with that?

Occther Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 12:17am
post #5 of 9

I use an almond cake recipe with buttercream and raspberry jam between the layers. Cut in squares and then dip in hot fondant. They are very sweet. A lot of people love them and I used to get lots of orders when I was doing more cakes. I'll have to see if I have an pictures.

brincess_b Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 12:43am
post #6 of 9

Bakerella has a good tutorial with links to others aswell, check that out.

Best to have a firm sponge, (frozen = easier to cut, sharp knife = clean cuts) traditionally with a jam filling, brushed with syrup, topped with marzipan, and finished with poured fondant.

Unless u stick a few zeros on the end of the price, I wouldn't be mucking about wanting them perfectly smooth. Also, wouldn't spend the time to crumbcoat, it's bad enough on mini cakes! But, if your striving for perfection, try it all and see what works. Ganache would b an option, as would marzipan all over, and simply more dips in the fondant

Marianna46 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:54am
post #7 of 9

Brushing with syrup - hmmm, sounds like a much better idea than crumb-coating! I admit I've never made them before, but the ones I used to buy had a thin layer of white icing - I've always assumed it was buttercream - under the fondant. Oh, dear, my mouth is watering. I may just have to take a trip back home and visit my old bakery!

Texas_Rose Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:57am
post #8 of 9

I've made them but covered in rolled fondant. I think you could prepare them the same way and then use poured fondant.

I bake a sheet cake, level, torte and fill. Then put a layer of buttercream on the top, lay waxed paper over it, and freeze the cake overnight or longer, until hard. Take it out and trim the edges off with a sharp knife, then cut into squares (or use a deep cookie cutter for other shapes) and put them back into the freezer. Take out a few at a time and cover them with fondant.

AdorableCakes Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 12:54am
post #9 of 9

How much do you think to charge for petite fores? For example: I charge $3.15 per slice of wedding cake in my area and I am high at that price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%