Can, I Make Buttercream Flowers 3 Days Before.

Decorating By miasuzzette Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 7:51pm by BlakesCakes

miasuzzette Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:06am
post #1 of 18

icon_surprised.gif It's my 1st time making drop Flower 3 days before my Class final project. Can, I make them a head of time? Using Wilton buttercream. Thanks for looking and your respond. I appreciate it... thumbs_up.gif

17 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:48am
post #2 of 18

You can make them on sheets of wax paper and put them in the freezer. It makes them easy to handle when putting them on a cake.

Usually, they'd be made out of royal icing and just left to dry if they're going to be made in advance.
With buttercream, they can often be piped directly on the cake.

Rae

rkei Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:03am
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

You can make them on sheets of wax paper and put them in the freezer. It makes them easy to handle when putting them on a cake.

Usually, they'd be made out of royal icing and just left to dry if they're going to be made in advance.
With buttercream, they can often be piped directly on the cake.

Rae

If you put them in the freezer, cover them well! I used to just toss my roses into the freezer to harden them.... on an uncovered plate for like five minutes. They almost always tasted, well, "Frozen" and had a strange taste. So just cover them!

Mme_K Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:22am
post #4 of 18

I've made them on wax paper and left them out to air dry, just like you would royal icing flowers. They dry nicely and are very light and tasty.

icer101 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:25am
post #5 of 18

I always make mine like Mme_K says. Never have put flowers in the freezer or fridge. But anyone that does, that ok too. hth

miasuzzette Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:47am
post #6 of 18

icon_surprised.gif You would let air dry and keep the place cool? Thanks all for your help thumbs_up.gif It's so appreciate it...

Jeep_girl816 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:57am
post #7 of 18

I think Indydebi said she air dries her bc roses overnight and she knows what she's talking about, she's a buttercream queen!

indydebi Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:15am
post #8 of 18

I never use royal for anything. BC all the way for everything.

Let them air dry. Don't freeze them. Things that are frozen will "melt" when removed from the freezer and by the time you get to your class, you'll very likely have a mooshy mess.

From this thread: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-674832-cascade.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

First I let them air dry. Overnight is preferred; 6 hrs or so will work (depending on the original icing consistency). If you can do overnight drying, go that route. I just placed them on a baking sheet and left them on the counter. In the morning they were good to go!

Air drying removes the moisture from the rose. Moisture is VERY heavy. When you allow this water to evaporate, you have a super light sugar flower to play with. Freezing the rose just temporarily solidifies the moisture and the fat in the rose ... when it comes to room temp, it will "melt" and you're back to square one. Air dry. Debi's Gospel.

And another thread with similar info: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-676696-air.html+fbct

BlakesCakes Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:27am
post #9 of 18

Well, maybe it's a function of the BC recipe used to pipe them, but I've never had them "melt" when removed from the freezer, nor have they tasted funny.

I certainly wouldn't have recommended it if it weren't a viable option.

There is more than ONE way to do things...............

Rae

miasuzzette Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:33am
post #10 of 18

icon_biggrin.gif indydebi, Thank you so much. This is the reason I stay addicted to CC Family... thumbs_up.gif People like you all... icon_biggrin.gif That takes the time to help... Again, Thank you...

indydebi Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:38am
post #11 of 18

blakescakes, it very well could be. what icing recipe do you use? if it doesn't melt when removed from the freezer, it sounds like a good one to use for FBCT's. All the threads I've ever read on FBCT's always give the advice of "work fast because it melts quickly" (which has also been my experience) so if we can find an icing that will battle that factor, that would be great! thumbs_up.gif

miasuzzette Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:59am
post #12 of 18

Rae icon_biggrin.gif Thank you very much for your time too...I appreciate and learn from every comment that is given... thumbs_up.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:06am
post #13 of 18

For buttercream decos that will be frozen, I use the basic (old) Wilton class buttercream recipe--no milk and I use high ratio for everything, so no 0 trans fat crisco.

It isn't airy and it holds it's shape very well. As far as "melting", they defrost, but they aren't going to go to puddles, either. Yes, you work quickly, but you work with them right out of the freezer.

Yield: 3 Cups STIFF:

Ingredients:

1 ts Clear vanilla extract*
2 tb Water
1 c Shortening
1 tb Wilton Meringue Powder
1 lb Sifted powdered sugar

Instructions:

-(approx 4 cups) MEDIUM: (for borders flowers with -petals that lie flat) 1 tb Additional water THIN: (for writing making stems -and leaves & frosting a -cake) 2 tb Additional water *Note: Clear butter & clear almond extracts can be included with or substituted for the vanilla. Flavorings can be up to a total of 2 t. DIRECTIONS: Sift the powdered sugar and meringue powder into a large mixing bowl and set aside. Cream shortening flavorings and water. Gradually add sifted dry ingredients and mix on medium speed until all ingredients have been thoroughly mixed together. Blend an additional minute or so until creamy.

Like I said, it's just another way to do it. Neither way is wrong. It's just what works for any one person. I try very hard not to say, "oh, don't do it that way" unless I know that under no uncertain terms the information is unequivocally wrong and will always result in failure....................

My personal preference IS royal icing for drop flowers, anyway. They pipe out crisply and easily, they store for eons, and they soften up for eating when put on my lightly crusting buttercream but they won't melt if it's hot...........

Rae

indydebi Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:11am
post #14 of 18

Thanks! I'll file that one away for my next FBCT! Appreciate it! thumbs_up.gif

I should have prefaced my statements with "my preference is". I'm usually careful about avoiding using "never" and "always". icon_redface.gif

rkei Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:51pm
post #15 of 18

I never had "mushy mess" when I put my roses on the cake, they didn't melt at all! They kept their form. But, if you let them air dry, they might taste fresher. Just my opinion.

TexasSugar Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:51pm
post #16 of 18

Debi, maybe you mean thaws quickly, instead of melts? icon_smile.gif

If it is for class, air dry them, because they won't still be frozen by the time you get them out to your car, let alone through the class.

I always tell my students if they are doing the drop flowers to do them at least two days before class. Just do them on a cookie sheet covered in wax paper. You can loosely cover them, but remember they need the air to dry out.

tracycakes Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:57pm
post #17 of 18

I hate to make fresh buttercream roses so I always make ahead and dry whenever possible.

BlakesCakes Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:51pm
post #18 of 18

In reading TexasSugar's response, I wasn't clear that these were to be transported and applied in class.

I thought that the cake was to be completed at home and then taken to class, so my suggestion of freezing wouldn't work in a case like that. icon_surprised.gif Of course they'd get too soft to work with after traveling in a container in the car!

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%