Covering Tier Support Boards

Decorating By BakedAlaska Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 7:11pm by BakedAlaska

BakedAlaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedAlaska Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 12:56am
post #1 of 9

Okay, so I cover every cake board I use for every tier of my cakes with foil of some sort. My thought is that, if I don't do this, the cake will soak into the cardboard and make it too soggy to be supportive. Am I wrong about this?

It just seems like if I needed to cover all these boards, they'd be sold in a covered form in bulk as opposed to being sold as naked cardboard in bulk.

Does anyone use just the bare cardboard with any luck? That would make things much quicker...

Thanks!
Tricia

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:10am
post #2 of 9

I prefer to cover my boards also. I do not like the taste cake boards leave on cake.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:11am
post #3 of 9

Hi Tricia,
Yes the plain cardboard will soak through, but there are lots of waxy cardboard rounds you can purchase. Wilton makes them, also check out cake boards/drums at www.fondantsource.com (www,fondantsource.com, no spaces)

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:01am
post #4 of 9

You can cover them with press and seal wrap. It's cheaper than decorative foil and it is less bulky on the underside too.

BakedAlaska Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 9

I guess my concern with the press and seal would be whether cutting the cake would result in little pieces of plastic wrap coming loose. But maybe it seals better than that... So I'll definitely give that a shot! Thanks!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 9

Well..I for one DON'T cover mine. That's what these boards are made for. They may absorb some grease but they will not soak through. If they were suppose to be "covered" they wouldn't be sold "naked" as Alaska said. I have never even had one to get "flimsy" from "soaking up moisture". I disagree ladies....no covering them for me. thumbs_up.gif

BakedAlaska Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 9

Oooo, really? No covering? That would be wonderful! It's so time consuming. Not to mention, resource consuming....

I guess I'm just paranoid about the soaking thing.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:06pm
post #8 of 9

Well, let's see, I've been baking for 50 yeas. (Yeah, I'm old!) Let me count the number of cardboards I've covered in that time. . .

ZERO!

Absolutely NO need. The boards might soak up a bit of moisture, but never enough to compromise the structural integrity of the cake, provided you have added the proper amount of support in the first place. I only put ONE cardboard under a 14" tier, and pick it up and place it on the bottom tier.

Page Indydebi if you don't believe me. She never covers boards either, and as a caterer she stays and cuts most of her cakes, so she has first-hand knowledge of what's going on inside.

BakedAlaska Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:11pm
post #9 of 9

Hallelujah!

This absolutely makes my day!

Thanks Ladies!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%