Anyone Ever Use These People Molds?

Decorating By mommafixit Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 12:32am by mbark

mommafixit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommafixit Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 7

I was just wondering if anyone has ever used these gumpaste/fondant molds for people? I'm not good at making people, so I was looking for an easier way to make them to go on cakes. Anyone know if they turn out looking ok? This one is suppose to be a woman. I'm worried that it may not look all that feminine. Thanks.
LL

6 replies
anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 7

I just bought the same mold thinking it could help me with the arms & legs! I haven't used mine yet so I'd be very interested to see what others think!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 7

I have them...I don't like them much but they work in a pinch...

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 7

I've never used those... but they might do well to get you started and more confident about your people. I would definitely dust them with corn starch so that the unmolding process is easier.

I have found that whatever mold I use (I have some of the ones found in the clay aisle in hobby stores) the finished product looks much different than the mold itself but it served its purpose in keeping things in proportion, etc. Making her more feminine is a matter of building up the bust or hips which could be done quite easily by how you drape the clothing. Her features are up to you as well and addition of hair, etc. will also make her less generic.

HTH!

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 7

i have these as well as the pme ones for $50+. but really, the best is making it without a mold. the ones fr molds leave lines where they meet. dont use too much shortening or else you cant paint in those spots, the paint will just roll off. good luck

Monirr04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monirr04 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 11:44pm
post #6 of 7

Coat your fondant/gum paste with sugar/starch not the mold. I have some similiar and was told by the local bake shop to dust your fondant not the mold. If you dust the mold it gets stuck and you will not get a defined print back.
Good luck!

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 12:32am
post #7 of 7

I bought the baby one & also don't like how they legs/arms/torso/head are in 2 pieces so they show seams. I tried making the baby with the mold a couple times but couldn't get it quite right so just did one by hand that turned out really cute (luau 1st birthday cake in my photos)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%