What's Your Sales Pitch?

Business By jenmat Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 1:43am by jenmat

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 12

As I said in another post, I upped my pricing per slice of wedding cake, which has caused the phone to stop ringing, or nearly so. I need to up my game as far as a sales pitch when they call me.
What is your best sales pitch when a bride calls you from the phone book/ad and says
"Hi, I'm getting married and need a wedding cake. What are your prices and what else can you tell me?"
Any good schpeels (sp?) out there that hook them in? Prices alone aren't going to do me any more!

11 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 12

Can't say as I have one. My business is word of mouth...usually they have been somewhere that had one of my cakes or heard from someone who had one of my cakes and gushed over it. So by the time I hear from them they just want to talk about their cake design and find out what it costs.

As for your prices..have you checked around your area to see if you are within range of others who do what you do or are you specialized and there is no comptetion for you to check with? The latter situation can be impossible and I feel for you if you are in that situation.

Of course I have had situations where someone will call and say that they heard about me, saw the website and love my work and want a cake for 6 people. At that point I tell them that my minimum is $50 depending one what she wants. And that is where I lose them. But that's ok because I pay for a rental kitchen and it costs me way too much to not charge what I need to charge to cover my costs. And I have lost a few over the fact that I can't get them the cake they want by the upcoming weekend. But, once again, that's ok because I have no intention of subjecting myself to the stress and hurry that situation would have caused. Stick to your guns...know what is right for you, for your area and start getting the word of mouth out there.

Cat

jenmat Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 12

I have done the research (time and time again), and I am right where I need to be I think.
Word of mouth is great, and I still do depend on it, but I need to hook those cold calls too!

I'm just used to the phone calls from the phone book leading to a sale strictly because of my pricing alone. Then they say they love the cake and designs, and I really don't have to work at all at getting their business. Now I will have to work, and I want some good wording from those who can BS their way through anything.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 12

Well, IMO it's not really a matter of BS. What sets you apart? What makes your cakes special? What's included in that price that makes it greater in value than the local grocery?

When folks used to call and I realized that the conversation ended at the price I changed what I said. but, I also realized that when folks call and all they are concerned about is the price they weren't likely to order anyway.

Anywhoo, I started with "my pricing starts an $XX, that includes a good, made from scratch cake and 1 filling per tier. I also make my own buttercream that actually has butter in it (that usually gets a chuckle or starts a conversation); I am happy to customize it to your event and deliver here in town for no additional charge."
I also try to ask them questions about the event and get them to talking, throwing some ideas in there (be creative here) and I always try to insert how I do my best to give them the most bang for their buck without a lot of add-ons, "I hate it when someone nickels and dimes me" type thing.

Sometimes, if you have a person who understands that a custom cake will cost more, it is about developing that relationship, making them feel comfortable with you. there is a lady here who does good work, has a fancy pastry degree but I can't tell you how many people say that they prefer to come to me because I am friendly and helpful whereas she can be pretty uppity. Folks pick up on attitude so if we keep it positive and focus on how we can benefit the customer they respond to that.

Hope that was clear (I have a headache) and was helpful. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 11:24pm
post #5 of 12

Here's the conversation I used....

"Unlike many bakers you will check with, my cakes are flat priced at $3.50/serving. WHat that means to you is that if you get a 5 tier cake with 5 different flavors, there's no extra charge for that. If you want 5 different fillings, there's no extra charge for that. We don't charge a delivery fee for anywhere inside the I-465 circle and to many areas outside the circle. At Cater It Simple, we honestly try to "Keep it Simple" for you by offering easy pricing and great cake without nickel and diming you to death. So as you do your comparison shopping, these are the questions you want to be sure to ask ... not just "how much are your cakes?"

Answer the question the bride is REALLY asking: "What's in it for me?" I answered that by pointing out that what was in it for her was easy pricing, and no nickel-and-diming her to death. thumbs_up.gif

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 11:49pm
post #6 of 12

For me it's custom cakes, all natural to the point I make my own extract (vanilla, beans are a lot lighter to carry than bottled ectracts), I use imported products (safe ones, remember where I live)
I bake from scratch and use all natural ingredients, except for the colours, which I get from overseas. With all the food scandals here..... I use real chocolate in my choc cakes and real lemons in the lemon ones. I send the customers pictures of the finished cakes, , so that, in case they forget to take a photo before the cake is cut, they have at least my copy and believe me, it has happened. If they want all natural scratch bakes cakes in a country, where they all use mixes and noone really knows, what's in them, they come to me

jenmat Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:14am
post #7 of 12

Thanks! Keep em coming.
Debi- I was hoping you'd chime in on this one, you're the marketing guru round here.
I don't do all natural, mix free baking all the time, so I tend to stay away from that one. But I DO offer a lot my competition isn't able to offer- bluntly, my cakes are cleaner, more trendy and I deliver what I promise in the sketches.
I know as a marketing commandment I need to find myself a "brand." ugh, if I could only decide what that is!

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:24am
post #8 of 12

Hip, modern, clean and crisp Cake boss cakes without the cakeboss pricetag

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:25am
post #9 of 12

Quality products at a competitive price?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:32am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Quality products at a competitive price?

This is a good one that we all should be pushing ..... but we need something else that sets us apart. Tell me who DOESN'T say "I sell quality products at a great price!"

Rather than use a buzz word or a buzz phrase .... tell them what it means. What *IS* a "quality product"? Is it made fresh the day before the event? Does it use only imported chocolate and real butter and vanilla made from the vanilla bean right in your own kitchen?

Be ready with an answer because when I hear buzz phrases (such as "I sell a quality product"), I really *DO* stand there and say, "that's interesting but what does it MEAN?"

As far as "Competitive Price", I encourage you to read this article by Andy Ebon, a wedding industry expert: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/notes/andy-ebon/pricing-logic-fit-for-a-bean-counter-not-real-life/10150194485690023 Price is much more than costs-plus-profit-compared-to-competition.

jenmat Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:42am
post #11 of 12

I tried the link but for some reason it is blocking me. But yes Indy, that is EXACTLY what I am having a problem with. I don't want a buzz phrase because anyone can say it, and I say to that, yeah, but what does that look like?
I think I should probably focus on my menu flexibility and my style- my menu has been a real selling point for a lot of people, but for my brides, they want that modern look that actually comes out looking clean and crisp (no bulges, etc.) How to put that in a brand though?
Don't get me wrong, I think I DO sell a quality product. I just don't think I can stop there and make the sale.

jenmat Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:43am
post #12 of 12

I tried the link but for some reason it is blocking me. But yes Indy, that is EXACTLY what I am having a problem with. I don't want a buzz phrase because anyone can say it, and I say to that, yeah, but what does that look like?
I think I should probably focus on my menu flexibility and my style- my menu has been a real selling point for a lot of people, but for my brides, they want that modern look that actually comes out looking clean and crisp (no bulges, etc.) How to put that in a brand though?
Don't get me wrong, I think I DO sell a quality product. I just don't think I can stop there and make the sale.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%