Strictly Real Flowers On Wedding Cakes????

Decorating By Twizzles Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 4:17am by Twizzles

Twizzles Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 6

Hello everyoneicon_smile.gif
I'm a newbie here and was just curious if any decorators strictly use real flowers on their wedding cakes.

5 replies
BARBARAJEAN Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 6

Oh heavens no. Most of the flowers you see in the gallery are gumpaste or fondant. They are just so well made, they look real. For myself, I use both depending on the request of the client.

BARBARAJEAN Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 6

oops, did a dumb answer. There probably are some that just uee real flowers. I did not read it correctly. By the way welcome to CC.

jolmk Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 6

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think most decorators limit themselves to just real flowers. It would put you at a disadvantage, especialy if you are in business. Too many strings attached.. availablity of the flowers, toxicity...many are just too poisonous, cost of pesticide free flowers, keeping them fresh.

dreamcakesmom Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 6

I agree with previous posts. I think quite the opposite, there are many decroators who tend not to use any fresh flowers for the previously stated reasons, availability, toxins, wilting issues, etc. If you are considering doing this and are not comfortable with doing buttercream, fondant, gumpaste flower work I would say invest in classes to get experience the money you invest in classes to learn how to do these flowers is invaluable if you are doing this as a business

Twizzles Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 4:17am
post #6 of 6

Oh no, I just seen a ladies website the other day and she had over thirty cake photos in her portfolio and All of them were with real flowers and I just thought that was very unusual and for someone who seemed like they were getting a lot of business.
Just curious if my instincts were right on the subject.
Thanks for the repliesicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%