Gelatin Based Fondant With White Chocolate....what?!?!?!

Baking By humminbird712 Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 4:26am by mamawrobin

humminbird712 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 7

So, I went to a day of sharing for a cake club the other day. Someone was taking about a gelatin based fondant and then adding a bag of white chocolate chips into it. Anyone ever heard of this???? I know the fondant wasn't made from marshmallows. I need a fondant recipe that holds up the heat and humidity of San Antonio, TX. Her fondant looked amazing and very workable here. Please help!!

6 replies
mamawrobin Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by humminbird712

So, I went to a day of sharing for a cake club the other day. Someone was taking about a gelatin based fondant and then adding a bag of white chocolate chips into it. Anyone ever heard of this???? I know the fondant wasn't made from marshmallows. I need a fondant recipe that holds up the heat and humidity of San Antonio, TX. Her fondant looked amazing and very workable here. Please help!!




I use it exclusively...you can find it here on cc. go to recipes and type in search box: Michele Foster's Fondant.

She gives instructions at the bottom of her recipe for adding the white chocolate....I use the "updated version".
I suggest using Baker's white chocolate squares instead of the "white premier chips" because they are NOT chocolate. The Baker's do have some cocoa butter in there. The taste is MUCH better using the Baker's.

veghed Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 7

I'm new here, so take that into consideration with my reply.

I have only used fondant one time and I did a 50/50 mix with SI/white modeling chocolate. I thought it came out pretty good, but I had never eaten fondant before, so I don't have any frame of reference.

My tasters said it was too sweet.

mamawrobin Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by veghed

I'm new here, so take that into consideration with my reply.

I have only used fondant one time and I did a 50/50 mix with SI/white modeling chocolate. I thought it came out pretty good, but I had never eaten fondant before, so I don't have any frame of reference.

My tasters said it was too sweet.




Not the same at all. You're adding modeling chocolate..chocolate and corn syrup to pre-made fondant. Also, what were the ingredients of the modeling chocolate that you used? Some use candy melts which are NOT chocolate. Just asking...
The op is asking about a fondant with white chocolate added to it during the cooking process. The absence of the corn syrup alone makes it "less sweet".
I have also mixed modeling chocolate with premade fondant and it in no way compares to the taste and texture of Michele Foster's Fondant. It is "hands down" the best tasting fondant that I've ever eaten. thumbs_up.gif It is't "too sweet" at all.

veghed Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 12:30am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin


Not the same at all. You're adding modeling chocolate..chocolate and corn syrup to pre-made fondant. Also, what were the ingredients of the modeling chocolate that you used? Some use candy melts which are NOT chocolate.




Yeah, that's how I made the modeling chocolate; white chocolate rounds and corn syrup. I am assuming that that is what candy melts are which I did not know was not chocolate.

I guess I misunderstood the op.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

The op is asking about a fondant with white chocolate added to it during the cooking process. The absence of the corn syrup alone makes it "less sweet".
I have also mixed modeling chocolate with premade fondant and it in no way compares to the taste and texture of Michele Foster's Fondant. It is "hands down" the best tasting fondant that I've ever eaten. thumbs_up.gif It is't "too sweet" at all.




I have been wanting to try that recipe and have it saved. I need to make it with vegetarian gelatin, but haven't yet been to Whole Foods yet to get some.

humminbird712 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:29am
post #6 of 7

Thanks! I'm going to make some tomorrow and see what happens.

mamawrobin Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:26am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by humminbird712

Thanks! I'm going to make some tomorrow and see what happens.




Few tips for you humminbird.

(1)..[b]DO[/b] let the gelatin/syrup/white chocolate mixture come to room temperature before straining into mixing bowl with powdered sugar. (recipe says to do this...some haven't and of course had problems)

(2) SIFT all of you powdered sugar.

(3) STRAIN (I use cheesecloth) gelatin/syrup/white chocolate mixture before adding to the powdered sugar in the mixer bowl

(4) While your fondant is kneading add 1 cup of the sifted p.s. at a time until you can poke a finger in the fondant and it comes out clean and leaves an impression in your fondant rather than sticking to your finger. I usually have to add just a little over a pound more.

Hope these "tips" help you....let us know what ya think of the recipe. I love it myself..for workability and taste it's "hands down" the best I've ever had. thumbs_up.gif
It's also a great idea to wear gloves when making because it's sticky straining that syrup mixture and having to squeeze that cheesecloth with your bare hands icon_lol.gif I cannot stand the "feel" of something sticky on my hands. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%