I'm Such An Idiot! Suggestions Please!!!

Baking By cakelovincrazy Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 7:56pm by Dayti

cakelovincrazy Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 8

I'm not sure if this is right forum...
I've never made a sponge cake before because I'm intimidated by the whole process, however a friend wanted one for her son's birthday so...

I found a recipe online that is "quick and easy" and not sure it is a "true" sponge cake since you don't separate the eggs.

Anyway, I made the cake, put it in the oven and then realized I forgot to add the water and vanilla! icon_cry.gif
The ingredients were:
1 cup sugar
1 cup unsalted butter
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups cake flour
2 teaspons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

I doubled the recipe. What do you think is going to happen with the cake since I didn't add the water and vanilla? Think it's a total bust? I really do not want to make it over. icon_sad.gif
Any thoughts?
OH and the only thing going on top is a chantilly cream and fresh fruit.

7 replies
redpanda Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 8

How much water did the recipe have listed? I don't know for sure, but I think without the water, the batter would have been very thick, almost like cookie or brownie dough, rather than like a cake batter. I think that it would probably not rise properly.

Without the vanilla, the cake may taste more like a sweet bread, as the only flavors there will be the butter, eggs, and sugar.

I'm sorry, but I think you will be making it over.

Edited to add...I don't know how I missed the water amount in the recipe. With it starting out as such a small amount, the cake may be fine, maybe just a little dense.

all4cake Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 8

No, I don't think 2 tablespoons of water are going to kill that cake. The flavoring in the cream and the taste of the fresh fruit will help any lacking flavor in the cake...looks like it'd be a sort of pound cake without the water. If concerned...brush with a vanilla flavored simple syrup and allow it to rest a bit.

DetailsByDawn Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 8

I learned not long ago on CC that vanilla flavour actually balances out the taste of the eggs...... I think trying to salvage it with a vanilla syrup or even just vanilla water would probably replace the missing moisture and help with the "egg taste" if it occurs. Good luck!

mamawrobin Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

No, I don't think 2 tablespoons of water are going to kill that cake. The flavoring in the cream and the taste of the fresh fruit will help any lacking flavor in the cake...looks like it'd be a sort of pound cake without the water. If concerned...brush with a vanilla flavored simple syrup and allow it to rest a bit.

I have to agree. thumbs_up.gif Please do let us know how it turned out.

cakelovincrazy Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Great idea! Should I do this after it cools or while it's still warm? I usually put my cakes right into the freezer after they come out of the oven. I read that somewhere on here and it really works at keeping the cake nice and moist. I also need it a little frozen so I can cut into the shape of a fish.

So, should I cover it in simple syrup with vanilla now while it's still warm or wait and let it cool?

all4cake Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 7:21pm
post #7 of 8

Yes, while it's warm if possible...helps with absorbing the liquid....not too much though, you don't want it soggy....basically, the same amount that would've been added into the recipe...brush it on evenly.

Dayti Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 8

I agree that forgetting 2 tbs of water in that large amount of batter will not make much difference to the overall outcome of the cake. Re. the vanilla, you could also try adding clear vanilla to your cream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%