"steaming" Gumpaste/fondant Flowers?

Decorating By bbsmom Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 7:12pm by bbsmom

bbsmom Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 5

I am attempting to color my first flowers with petal dust. After watching & reading as much as I can-one question I have is how long do you steam the piece to help hold the color? Just a few seconds or so?
Part 2 is if I "try" icon_redface.gif to attach a drape between layers (fondant to fondant) are the pieces "glued" together using a gumpaste glue or RI?
Thanks for your patience with another "newbie" icon_lol.gif

4 replies
cakegrandma Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 5

To your first question of steaming - you only hold your flower over the steam just long enough for it to go all around it. This sets the dust so it does not brush off as easily if at all.
Second question - I would use either gum glue or just a small amount of water. Either will work and I normally use water. If your drape is heavy you may want to hold it in position until the glue/water holds it how you want it.
evelyn

JuliSchulze Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 5

I'm a newbie also but have discovered, by attempting to cover a dummy cake in fondant using piping gel as the base coat, that piping gel makes a very good glue! Trying to scrape the fondant off of the dummy after I messed up putting it on was a real process! icon_smile.gif If others know a reason why NOT to use piping gel as a glue, I'm all ears (eyes?)

Elcee Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliSchulze

If others know a reason why NOT to use piping gel as a glue, I'm all ears (eyes?)

Because piping gel won't dry and harden the way RI or gumpaste glue will. The reason it works when covering your cake in fondant is that it is sticky and allows the fondant to adhere to the cake but it stays pliable. To attach fondant or gumpaste flowers or drapes to the outside of the cake you need something that will hold better. It works for things like fondant dots and borders, though, but I just use water for those.

bbsmom, I agree with cakegrandma on both questions.

bbsmom Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you thank you! I think I've bitten off more than I can do but at least it's practice! Everyone on this board has provided usch a wealth of knowledge!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%