Heating Core

Decorating By Daniela Updated 1 Sep 2005 , 4:44pm by Daniela

Daniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniela Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 8

Can someone tell me what a heating core is??I was reading the serving sizes in the chart in an atricle posted on this site and it talks about a heating core for larger pans and I have no clue what that is.
Thanks

Daniela

7 replies
debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 8

It's a small tumbler like thing that Wilton makes that you place in the middle of the UNBAKED cake and fill it with some batter to fill the hole when you remove the heating core from the cake. I have one, but I prefer flower nails placed in various locations.

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 8

I havent needed to use one yet, but I have seen a lot of post on this and it is recommended that if you use a flower nail or heating core to always use cake release or non stick spray before usingicon_smile.gif

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 8

I prefer the flower nail also, bakes the cakes quicker to me.

chefali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefali Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 12:01am
post #5 of 8

Where exactly do you place the flower nail? and doesn't it leave a hole in the cake then? I have never used the heating core, the biggest cake that I have baked has been 12". I read a recommendation to use one on any cakes that size or larger. I have to bake a 14" square next weekend and I would appreciate opinions and info on using them and if it is neccessary. Thanks

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 12:37am
post #6 of 8

I've never tried the flower nail trick, but I have a heating core and it works well. It does leave a hole in the cake, but you just use the cake you baked inside the core to plug the hole. It's not hard. I use the core for 14" size and up, and sometimes in 12".

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 12:43am
post #7 of 8

Depending on the size of the cake, you can use one or more flower nails. You just place them randomly in the middle (after covering it well with cooking spray) head down and bake. Yeah, they leave little holes in the cake, but not big enough to do damage to the cake.

Debbi

Daniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniela Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 4:44pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for your help ladies. I think i understand what a heating core is now!!

Daniela

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%