Cake Scrapers

Decorating By frizzyhead Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 7:59pm by tiggy2

frizzyhead Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 7

I am looking to purchase a cake scraper (bench) but before I do was wondering if there are some that are better than others? I would hate to buy 1 then turn @ and have to buy a different one, I wasted enough $$ on practicing baking the cakes LOL! Now I must move on to buttercreme perfection (yeah right)......Any suggestions I'm sure will be helpful, Thanks! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
indydebi Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 7

I have one with a metal blade and I have one that is all plastic and I really like the all plastic much better. The 'give' of the plastic seems to smooth the icing much better.

frizzyhead Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks Indydebi! How fitting for you to respond since I will be using it with you're buttercreme, which I LOVE!

CWR41 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 7

I'd suggest buying an inexpensive one and see how you like it. Bed, Bath & Beyond has one called Bash 'n Chop for less than $6.

BeanCountingBaker Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 7

Don't forget to check out the hardware store. I recommend a store with lots of tools and gadgets instead of wal-mart. There's all kinds of different scrappers and tools that are nice for icing.

BeanCountingBaker Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 7

I got intrupted and I forgot to add that some of the hardware store plastic scrapers are only $1.59 or 1.99 -- super bargain!

tiggy2 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 7:59pm
post #7 of 7

If you want to use the hot water method to smooth you need a metal one. I use the plastic for initial smoothing and switch to the metal for final smoothing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%