Glace Icing Questions

Baking By OneCreativeCookie Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 9:46am by awatterson

OneCreativeCookie Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone, I'm new here...wow! What a resource! I have a few questions about Glace Icing that I didn't see directly answered though several members touch on these issues...

A little background: I use Wilton gel colors, pipe from bags, let base colors dry overnight (sometimes up to 24 hours before I get back to them!), live in Central VA and work in an air-conditioned kitchen with good humidity control. I am going to mix up GeminiJ's recipe (Thank you!!) which is a little different proportion than what I have been using in the hopes that that chemistry is better than mine icon_wink.gif

So, the questions...

1. Wilton or Americolor gel coloring for less bleeding? Black is the worst, but I have trouble with all colors...uugh! The colors don't always bleed, but often the cookies look great when first made and even up to 3 days after, but after 2 or 3 days the colors start to bleed into each other. So frustrating as I feel I can't make anything even the slightest bit in advance.

2. Storage...how long can you keep Glace? How long in the fridge (and how do you warm before use?)? How long on the counter (in A/C controlled kitchen)? How long on the iced cookies?

3. Duff black coloring gel - I can't seem to find an ingredient list on the web anywhere...does anyone happen to have a tube they could share the ingredients from? I have a small business and customers who want very straight-forward ingredients (I don't even like using the super white for this reason - adds to the ingredient list).

Thanks so very much!!!

~Kelly

4 replies
verono Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 5

For the Duff black coloring gel :
Water, high fructose corn syrup, glycerine, FD&C Red 40 (E129), Corn Syrup, FD&C Blue 1 (E133), modified corn starch (corn), FD&C Yellow 5 (E102), FD&C Blue 2 (E132), sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), salt, carrageenan gum, agar gum, citric acid.

From my own tube icon_wink.gif

bonniebakes Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 5

as for the bleeding... in my experience, americolor will have less bleeding and you will need to use less of the gel to reach the desired color.

sweet56pooh Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:21am
post #4 of 5

Americolor are the best. I will not go back to Wilton. I can't wait until I run out of all my Wilton colors. Brighter and less bleeding IMO.

awatterson Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:46am
post #5 of 5

I am posting what I found about glace from another site.

1. Toba said that this icing does not need to be refrigerated...even made with the milk. It will last 2 weeks unrefrigerated.

2. Cookies iced with this icing can be made up to three weeks in advance and do not need to be refrigerated. She said that she tried an experiment making these cookies and left them unrefrigerated for 20 days in containers. They were just fine. She tried the same experiment using a 40 day window, but at that point she said they weren't fresh tasting anymore.

3. I found the glace icing difficult to outline with. It was very "elastic" in nature. I think royal icing is easier to outline things with.

4. I found the glace icing to be very sweet and "powdery" tasting. I remember reading somewhere on this board that someone adds butter to the glace icing, but I don't remember the exact proportions. I think the butter would probably cut the sweetness and make the icing less powdery tasting.

1 pound powdered sugar
3 ounces (6 T) milk
3 ounces light corn syrup
**tip from The Cake Board: add up to 1 stick melted, cooled butter per batch

Flavoring options; adjust to taste: 1 t vanilla or almond extract; a few drops candy flavoring; liqueur to taste (start w/ 1 t and adjust) (such as grand marnier for orange cookies; lemon extract for lemon cookies; vanilla sugar cookies are good w/ many different liqueur flavors)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%