Has Anyone Ever Made Fondant In A Stand Mixer W/o Dough Hook

Baking By sberryp Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 6:50pm by ycknits

sberryp Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 9

Has anyone made fondant in a stand mixer without the dough hooks? If so how did it turn out? Thanks for you help.

8 replies
BrightDelights Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 9

I actually made som fondant the other day and used the paddle attachment because I forgot to switch to the dough hook. It didn't work very well. I had to switch it halfway through.

sberryp Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 9

GinnyK Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 9

When I was taking the Wilton fondant class, I made regular fondant and mmfondant with my regular attachment because I didn't know I should use the dough hook. It turned out fine -- class teacher didn't notice any problem, and neither did I. But I guess using the dough hook causes less strain on the motor (?).

Dolledupcakes Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:54pm
post #5 of 9

I use the dough hook all the time.

DetailsByDawn Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:57pm
post #6 of 9

It probably wouldn't make a big difference to your fondant, but it will definitely burn out your motor. Too much $$$$ to risk it!

rosiecast Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 9

I just mix it with my hands. I always made a huge mess with the mixer. lol

Jamielc Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:34am
post #8 of 9

I always use my dough hook. Very rarely have any issues. =)

ycknits Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:50pm
post #9 of 9

I tried mixing MMF from start to finish with a regular beater in my KitchenAid Pro 600 mixer. I thought I would get more complete mixing faster doing this than by using my dough hook. NOT a good idea! I actually overheated my motor and the mixer shut itself down - first time ever. Fortunately, it worked okay after cooling down a bit. Moral of story - use the dough hook.

Quote by @%username% on %date%