Ganache

Decorating By Dana62 Updated 6 Jul 2010 , 1:20pm by Dana62

Dana62 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 9

Can I color white chocolate ganache red? If so, do I use gel/paste food coloring or do I need to use something else? I have to make the cake that I have attached and it looks like the red "A" is covered in ganache. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
LL

8 replies
sweettreat101 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:06am
post #2 of 9

You can but you will need to use red candy color not regular gel colors for cake decorating. Candy colors have oil in them which you need when coloring chocolate. The picture to me looks like a milk chocolate ganache not semi sweet or red. Would they just let you cover the letter in red fondant?

sweettreat101 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:08am
post #3 of 9

The more I look at it milk chocolate ganache with a little red. Maybe make a small batch and play with the color.

Dana62 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 9

It is definitely red because it is Alabama but I could do it in red fondant I just thought it might be really hard to get it covered.

Sassy74 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 9

Ditto on the oil-based candy colors. Gel colors have water in them and will seize your chocolate up.

Other than that.....

ROOOOOLL TIIIIIIDE ROOOOOLL!

dguerrant Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 9

I would cool, level, frost the top of the cake for the 'A' and then freeze it hard. I would have made a pattern for the 'A' and then a board cut to fit. Once frozen, cut out the 'A' using the board, continue putting it in and out of the freezer if needed. After it is cut, place the frozen 'a' on the board then onto a cooling rack. To cover the cake, I would use two-three cans of white canned frosting that has been microwoved until thin and pourable (usually 40 seconds for one can at a time for me), mix in the red food coloring. Pour the melted frosting over the the top and especially the edges. Tap the rack on the table to coax the frosting down. Once set, reheat the drips and pour again. I do this for petite fours and it works great!!! When dry, it has a matte finish and can be touched lightly with no markings.

sweettreat101 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 9

I carved a large A for a birthday cake and covered it with fondant and it worked wonderfully. I used the tips of my fingers to smooth and a fondant tool.

Dana62 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:42pm
post #8 of 9

Both of those sound great! I will be practicing over the next couple of days on the "A" until I get it right so I will try most of the suggestions and see which one works best. I actually found a silicone "A" pan from an Alabama store and it will be here tomorrow so I will bake a few and try the different methods and see what happens. Wish me luck because this cake is due Sunday the 4th. Thanks for all the help I have received on this. I knew it looked a little tricky that is why I came to my CC family for advice.

Dana62 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:20pm
post #9 of 9

Fianlly finished the ALA cake. I am not too happy with it but they loved it. Posted pics in case anyone wants to see the finished product. Thanks for all the help with this one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%