Flowers On A Red Velvet Cake...

Decorating By pammylynn Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 2:11pm by indydebi

pammylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pammylynn Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 3

Ok, I'm really inexperienced with flowers. Incredibly so. But I have to make a red velvet cake for someone. Normally, I just do top and bottom edging and write their name. On one I hand drew an outline of deer skull (for a hunter). But, this time it's for a lady. They suggested flowers.

In my mind, I CANNOT see how you could use cream cheese icing to make flowers. Too soft. Do you put buttercream flowers on a red velvet cake???

Thanks so much!

Pam

2 replies
dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 3

For any cake decorative cake I do I always use buttercream to do the exterior frosting and decor as I think it holds up better to piping details, etc. With that being said I don;t see why if you frsot the cake in creamcheese you can't add a few buttercream flowers for details- I've never been able to get a smooth look with cream cheese which is why I use buttercream, what's your secret?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:11pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pammylynn

Do you put buttercream flowers on a red velvet cake???

Yes. Putting BC flowers on cream cheese icing is no different than putting fondant accents on a BC iced cake.

There's no Food Police making rules on this stuff! thumbs_up.gif

(There's also no rule that says red velvet "has" to have cream cheese icing. icon_wink.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%