Ohh Why The Bleeding Frosting!?

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 4:31pm by tonedna

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:22am
post #1 of 11

So, this weekend I was a little prepared for the wedding cake I was about to decorate. A three tiered cake that had a white bottom with black scrolls, the middle a VERY dark red tier that was quilted, and the top tier white with red and black stripes. The bottom part I THOUGHT I did correctly icon_redface.gif I frosted the cake with crusting buttercream and let it set for at least 30 mins and then I started piping the scroll work in black on. Well...what I thought I was doing didn't work...the black frosting STILL bled icon_sad.gif luckily this was a gift and it sort of looked like a shadow on the cake (mind you it was very dark in the hall and the bride couldn't even see it with all the candles around it) But I am soooo scared to keep doing this combination if I don't know what I'm doing wrong! icon_cry.gif I used Americolor and black is the only thing that always gives me troubles.

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

10 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:25am
post #2 of 11

What icing did you use for the scrollwork?

Was it very warm and/or humid during or after you piped the scrolls?

Rae

step0nmi Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:25am
post #3 of 11

ALSO I decided to decorate in my mother's wonderful air conditioned house...so, my cake wasn't even sweating

monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:33am
post #4 of 11

Was the black icicng buttercream or royal? I've read that people add meringue powder when making the darker colors to help w/ bleeding.

I do a lot of cookies and love to use the Americolors. I add some white-white to the icing before I add coloring, and this helps me a lot w/ bleeding.

So frustrating! Good luck!

step0nmi Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:35am
post #5 of 11

I used the same frosting...crusting buttercream. It was not hot/humid in this house because the AC has been on for over a week! (but I do live in a humid area)

Thank you for the advice Monet...I might have to try the suggestions you have listed icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 6:09am
post #6 of 11

Well, not all air conditioners dehumidify well, or at all.

I think that the surface of the cake wasn't really dry enough.

JMHO
Rae

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 6:21am
post #7 of 11

I talked once to chefmaster company about this issue and they said that some companies make colors that do bleed a lot. He assured me that this didnt happened with their colors. And I have to say that It never happened again
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

step0nmi Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:14pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I talked once to chefmaster company about this issue and they said that some companies make colors that do bleed a lot. He assured me that this didnt happened with their colors. And I have to say that It never happened again
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

are you saying I should switch? icon_lol.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:56pm
post #9 of 11

I use americolor and the only time I have problems is with humidity and the cakes are wet and I just let them dry well and don't have a problem. Well, not counting this past weekend...arrrggghhh Humidity and heat were HORRIBLE!

step0nmi Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:06pm
post #10 of 11

See, that is the thing...my cake was fine and dry. I know I live in a humid area but there wasn't any condensation on the cake and I had let it sit long enough to crust up and even patted it one more time before doing the scrollwork to make sure. :p

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:31pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

are you saying I should switch? icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gif I am saying that it worked for me.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%