Ohh Why The Bleeding Frosting!?

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 4:31pm by tonedna

step0nmi Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:22am
post #1 of 11

So, this weekend I was a little prepared for the wedding cake I was about to decorate. A three tiered cake that had a white bottom with black scrolls, the middle a VERY dark red tier that was quilted, and the top tier white with red and black stripes. The bottom part I THOUGHT I did correctly icon_redface.gif I frosted the cake with crusting buttercream and let it set for at least 30 mins and then I started piping the scroll work in black on. Well...what I thought I was doing didn't work...the black frosting STILL bled icon_sad.gif luckily this was a gift and it sort of looked like a shadow on the cake (mind you it was very dark in the hall and the bride couldn't even see it with all the candles around it) But I am soooo scared to keep doing this combination if I don't know what I'm doing wrong! icon_cry.gif I used Americolor and black is the only thing that always gives me troubles.

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

10 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:25am
post #2 of 11

What icing did you use for the scrollwork?

Was it very warm and/or humid during or after you piped the scrolls?

Rae

step0nmi Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:25am
post #3 of 11

ALSO I decided to decorate in my mother's wonderful air conditioned house...so, my cake wasn't even sweating

monet1895 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:33am
post #4 of 11

Was the black icicng buttercream or royal? I've read that people add meringue powder when making the darker colors to help w/ bleeding.

I do a lot of cookies and love to use the Americolors. I add some white-white to the icing before I add coloring, and this helps me a lot w/ bleeding.

So frustrating! Good luck!

step0nmi Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:35am
post #5 of 11

I used the same frosting...crusting buttercream. It was not hot/humid in this house because the AC has been on for over a week! (but I do live in a humid area)

Thank you for the advice Monet...I might have to try the suggestions you have listed icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 6:09am
post #6 of 11

Well, not all air conditioners dehumidify well, or at all.

I think that the surface of the cake wasn't really dry enough.

JMHO
Rae

tonedna Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 6:21am
post #7 of 11

I talked once to chefmaster company about this issue and they said that some companies make colors that do bleed a lot. He assured me that this didnt happened with their colors. And I have to say that It never happened again
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

step0nmi Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:14pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I talked once to chefmaster company about this issue and they said that some companies make colors that do bleed a lot. He assured me that this didnt happened with their colors. And I have to say that It never happened again
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

are you saying I should switch? icon_lol.gif

tracycakes Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:56pm
post #9 of 11

I use americolor and the only time I have problems is with humidity and the cakes are wet and I just let them dry well and don't have a problem. Well, not counting this past weekend...arrrggghhh Humidity and heat were HORRIBLE!

step0nmi Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:06pm
post #10 of 11

See, that is the thing...my cake was fine and dry. I know I live in a humid area but there wasn't any condensation on the cake and I had let it sit long enough to crust up and even patted it one more time before doing the scrollwork to make sure. :p

tonedna Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:31pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

are you saying I should switch? icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gif I am saying that it worked for me.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%