Daughter's 1St Birthday Cake - Help Please

Decorating By barefootsdesign Updated 1 Aug 2010 , 5:23am by barefootsdesign

barefootsdesign Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:24am
post #1 of 19

Ok I'm at a huge stump for my ideas. I just knew i wanted to do some sort of ladybug cake for my daughter's 1st birthday but now I'm not sure. Her nickname is ladybug is why I liked that idea but i would really like to celebrate her first year. We tried 12 years before God blessed us with this angel so it is a true celebration that needs a special cake to remember it by.She is an angel that makes everyone smile with her bright blue eyes and contagious smile. and has won two pagents this year. She loves music,ducks,ladybugs, and just bright colors in general. Anyone have an idea on how to incorporate these into a gorgeous first time cake for my angel. I'm still an amature status in my fondant but i do learn techniques pretty quickly and do have the cricut to cut things out so any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

18 replies
yummy Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:42am
post #2 of 19

She's gorgeous! Congratulations to you. I'll be back with some ideas.

still_learning Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:04am
post #4 of 19

Adorable! I think you should go with your 1st instinct and stick with just the ladybug theme. It might me difficult to mix all her loves into one cake. I have a ladybug cake in my photos. I was thinking maybe for your cake the ladybug can be wearing a tiara (and maybe a sash) to represent the ones she's won.

I made my son's favorite toy for his 1st bday, also in my pics. That was the most stressful cake I've made to date because I wanted it to be perfect. I hope yours is smooth sailing! Good luck!

yummy Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:09am
post #5 of 19

Still_learning that lady bug cake is so cute! I'm putting it in my favs.

Here's another one.

barefootsdesign Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:39am
post #6 of 19

ok i have thought and worked on the idea. this is what I have come up with. let me know what you guys think and if you think anything should be changed. And thank you for the wonderful suggestions they have been a huge help. Think I will be ok on the design except not sure on the tiara. Thanks again.

yummy Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:56am
post #7 of 19

You can make a tiara to fit the ladybug.

barefootsdesign Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:03am
post #8 of 19

any suggestions on the best way to do that?

Jesa Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:28am
post #9 of 19

I just did my first tiara and it went a lot easier than I expected. I used white candy melts in a piping bag and taped my template around a spaghetti sauce jar (rounded bottom made it easier to remove) and then covered the template with wax paper. I saw someone recommend at least 3 traces over the template with the melted choc, which is what I did, very stable end result. For a smaller tiara, you could probably use a smaller cylinder like a salt shaker if you have one without a lip at the bottom, or if you just want a slight curve and need a little one, you could use a small rounded dish or anything else that's rounded like a deviled egg carrier that has the bumps exposed on the bottom. HTH!

yummy Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:33am
post #10 of 19

A baby food jar might be the perfect size and I know you have a couple of those around.

mbark Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:45am
post #11 of 19

thanks for that tip Jesa, that's a great idea to do the tiara.

barefootsdesign your ladybug cake sketch looks awesome!

jayarr Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:35pm
post #12 of 19

Great tips . Very helpful . Thanks for this very wonderful post !

carmijok Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:00pm
post #13 of 19

Just saw this cake online and thought it was a cute one too.

barefootsdesign Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:08pm
post #14 of 19

one last question guys. We are going on a church beach trip the week before her birthday. So my question is how far ahead of time can I make the fondant decorations? I would like to make them around the 17th as we leave on the 18th but her party isn't till 31st. Is that possible? I posted this question as a seperate topic as well in case other fondant newbies were searching with the same question. TIA and thanks for all the great ideas so far.

ChRiStY_71 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:25pm
post #15 of 19

Barefootsdesign: What program do you use to draw your cakes?

barefootsdesign Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:33pm
post #16 of 19

I use adobe illustrator but you can use any vector program. But a found a program called Inkscape that is a free vector program. I haven't tried it to draw in but it looks to work similiar to illustrator. I use inkscape to turn images into svg files for the cricut to use with Sure cuts alot program. hope that helps. I just always do better if I can see what I'm tring to achieve. Cause if not I get too many ideas in my head and I float all over the place..lol.

Peridot Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:39pm
post #17 of 19

There are many, many ladybug cakes on CC - all you need to do is search and you will have more pics of ladybugs cakes then you have time to lookat. And there are some really great ones out there.

ChRiStY_71 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:40am
post #18 of 19

Thanks! I'll have to check that out!

barefootsdesign Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 5:23am
post #19 of 19

Thought I would post here to let those that helped with ideas know I have posted pics of how the cake turned out. I love how the design came out even though I'm not happy with the cleaniness of the lines and such of the cake. It was suppose to be all fondant however my MMF just didn't come out right and my cricut couldn't cut it. So at 5am I chose to do it in all buttercreme. And due to the fondant mess up I didn't have time to add the grass to the sides or flower petals I wanted under the lady bug on top. But all in all I'm happy with it. It was vanilla cake with cookies and creme filling. Cake was delicious though guess thats what counted..lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%