So, How Do I Do This?

Decorating By rkei Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 9:26pm by Doug

rkei Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:13am
post #1 of 15

My brother is turning sixteen on July 8th, and I am making his cake. I am planning on doing a little race track with cars on it. Just really simple. Buuut, I am making chocolate BC. How much would I need to to cover a thirteen by nine inch cake including the crumb coat? And how do I make a batch of chocolate BC, and still have about half of the icing batch white to color and decorate with?? And it's supposed to be a sort of rainy day, but I expect it to be in the 100's or 90's still with humidity... What recipe of BC should i use, one with all shortening? Wouldn't it make it taste bad? I'm kinda scared about smoothing this BC with copy paper, so some reassurance please! Thank you, fellow CCers!

14 replies
Doug Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:21am
post #2 of 15

make 2 batches of IndyDebi's recipe

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

it crusts really well and holds up in heat really well too.

to one batch add 8oz dark chocolate (I prefer Ghiradelli) and a "some" extra milk (add 1 tsp at a time to get right consistency. For even darker I've added additional cocoa powder (add to butter and blend in first) and even instead of extra milk, chocolate syrup (can there ever be too much chocolate -- NO!)

mamawrobin Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:24am
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

make 2 batches of IndyDebi's recipe

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

it crusts really well and holds up in heat really well too.

to one batch add 8oz dark chocolate (I prefer Ghiradelli) and a "some" extra milk (add 1 tsp at a time to get right consistency. For even darker I've added additional cocoa powder (add to butter and blend in first) and even instead of extra milk, chocolate syrup (can there ever be too much chocolate -- NO!)

Totally agree with Doug that if you want even "more chocolate" add some chocolate syrup...I make chocolate bc with the unsweetened chocolate as well but when I'm on a "death by chocolate" quest I will sub some of the milk for chocolate syrup... icon_twisted.gifthumbs_up.gif

rkei Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:25am
post #4 of 15

AAAAH! I don't have any dark chocolate or syrup! I thought some recipes just used cocoa!!! What do I do? Isn't there recipes that use cocoa? And, we don't really like dark chocolate, just milk chocolate.

Doug Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:31am
post #5 of 15

then...

just add cocoa powder -- and blend it in to the butter first.

---

FYI: although you start with melted dark chocolate, the result will be more like a milk chocolate once you work in all the powdered sugar --- which is why often add more powder and syrup to get it very Dark.

it will never be as "unsweet" as dark chocolate bar again due to all the sugar in icing.

Peridot Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:37am
post #6 of 15

Thanks for the additional choc BC tips.

FleurDeCake Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:38am
post #7 of 15

thanks doug you always hav such useful information

rkei Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:39am
post #8 of 15

@Doug: If I just use Cocoa, will it not taste like chocolate??

PiccoloChellie Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:08am
post #9 of 15

It'll taste like chocolate with just cocoa. I use it all the time. icon_smile.gif

DetailsByDawn Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:34am
post #10 of 15

Sorry to interrupt. I just wanted to offer up an alternative to chocolate BC, which I assume you'll be using for the ractrack. I made this cake (below) for my son's little friend and instead of Chocolate BC, I used regular White BC, then used a chocolate fudge cookie, baked in the same pan as the cake, so they were equal in size, and laid it on top. It went over REALLY well. It looked realistic and tasted so yummy. Anyway, it was so easy (cookie dough in a tube) I just wanted to share. Loads of luck with your cake!
LL

JaimeAnn Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 7:20am
post #11 of 15

Great Idea^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

rkei Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:55pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailsByDawn

Sorry to interrupt. I just wanted to offer up an alternative to chocolate BC, which I assume you'll be using for the ractrack. I made this cake (below) for my son's little friend and instead of Chocolate BC, I used regular White BC, then used a chocolate fudge cookie, baked in the same pan as the cake, so they were equal in size, and laid it on top. It went over REALLY well. It looked realistic and tasted so yummy. Anyway, it was so easy (cookie dough in a tube) I just wanted to share. Loads of luck with your cake!

Love the idea, but I'm not good enough to make that cake. I wish I was.

JaeRodriguez Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:04pm
post #13 of 15

That cake is great!!

neelycharmed Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:13pm
post #14 of 15

hope it all works out for you.
Jodi icon_smile.gif

Doug Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 9:26pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiccoloChellie

It'll taste like chocolate with just cocoa. I use it all the time. icon_smile.gif

as pointed out --

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkei

@Doug: If I just use Cocoa, will it not taste like chocolate??

YES -- but not DEATH by Chocolate!!! the only kind for me!!! icon_rolleyes.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%