Mff In The Ka

Baking By kger Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 4:07am by mamawrobin

kger Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 1:19am
post #1 of 4

I made MFF for the first time tonight and I used my KA with the dough hook. I was expecting it to act like the MMF, where you mix until it kind of forms a ball and is no longer sticky to the touch, but it never got that way and I went through 4 lbs of ps. Finally I decided to peel it out of the KA and knead it manually with some ps and some serious crisco hands. It seemed to come together, but it was such a mess.

Did I do anything wrong? Should it be that sticky? Should I have coated my mixing bowl with crisco beforehand? I do that with the MMF, but the MFF instructions didn't mention it so I skipped that step.

3 replies
mamawrobin Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:10am
post #2 of 4

I use MFF exclusively and I have never had any problems..even before I got my mixer and had to do it by hand. I never use the full four pounds of p.s.

Did you allow your gelatin/syrup mixture to cool to lukewarm before adding? I know that if you don't it will do exactly what you've described. It's very important to allow the mixture to cool to lukewarm for the recipe to work properly. If it's too cold it has problems as well.

I put two pounds of p.s. in my mixing bowl and strain (thru cheesecloth) the lukewarm gelatin/syrup mixture. I start the mixer and add a cup of p.s. at a time until I've added about another pound I let it knead, still adding about 1/2 cup of p.s. at a time until I can stick a finger in and it leaves an impression but none sticks to my finger. Once it does this I know that I've added enough powdered sugar. I usually have about 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound of powdered sugar left in my bowl.

I grease my work surface with crisco and put the fondant on it and knead it for a few seconds and form a large ball , then I wrap it in plastic wrap that has been greased with crisco and wrap twice and put in a zip lock baggie. I let it rest for at least 8 hours before using.

Hope this helps. I hate that yours didn't turn out because this is "hands down" the best tasting and the most "user friendly" fondant I have ever had. thumbs_up.gif

kger Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:14am
post #3 of 4

Maybe it was too warm? It felt lukewarm to me, but what do I know. Do you know the official temp of "lukewarm?" I'll stick my thermometer in it next time. I'll play with it tomorrow night and see how it acts. I hope it's ok.

mamawrobin Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:07am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kger

Maybe it was too warm? It felt lukewarm to me, but what do I know. Do you know the official temp of "lukewarm?" I'll stick my thermometer in it next time. I'll play with it tomorrow night and see how it acts. I hope it's ok.

It's pretty forgiving. I have added too much ps before and was able to salvage it. If you will knead about a handful at a time (for the initial kneading) until you've kneaded the entire batch then knead it all together I bet you'll be able to use it just fine.

Lukewarm is between 25 and 30 degrees C. About the same temperature you'd warm a baby's bottle of formula.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%